Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

February 6, 2010

Saturday, February 6, 2010

Saturday, February 6, 2010

Tonight's picture was taken at Deerfield Beach, FL in December of 2006. Deerfield Beach is a wonderful place for families, and along with my parents, we visited there with Mattie three years in a row. Mattie simply loved digging in the sand and building all sorts of structures. In fact, Peter and Mattie would transform the beach. They would spend HOURS designing, and by the time they were finished many beachgoers would feel the need to stop by and acknowledge their work. Mattie always took pride in his creations. In this particular picture you can see some found objects (like bottle caps for example) that Mattie picked up along the beach to use as decorations for his sand city! Mattie loved building with Peter and then decorating the structure with me.
Poem of the day: I'm an Angel Now by Janice Grogen

One night I cried to Jesus as I sat beneath a tree
I looked into the open sky and hoped he'd answer me...
I'm lost dear Lord, I've traveled far, but still I seem to roam
Please lead me Lord and light the way, I need to get back home...
I told him of my burdens, and of the sadness in my heart
That from his gracious love, I'd never felt so far apart...
Why did you take my child, dear Lord, I cannot understand
No longer can I see his face or hold his tiny hand....
I'm angry Lord, I'm missing him, I'm drowning in my sorrow
Please help to heal my yesterday and face each new tomorrow...
It was then I heard his gentle voice and felt his presence near
How I wanted so to hold him as I cried another tear...
He said, "Mommy, I'm an angel now my spirit will be free
I'm an angel now in heaven so please don't cry for me
I was chosen by the Lord above and now I'm in his care
When you need me look inside your heart I promise to be there.
No one can ever take away our bond with one another
For I'll always be your precious child, as you'll always be my mother
So if you cannot find your way or the road to home seems far
Just look up to the heavens--and I'll be your guiding star!"
He said, "Mommy, I'm an angel now my spirit will be free,
I'm an angel now in heaven, so please don't cry for me."

I am very touched by the e-mails I have been receiving from our Team Mattie supporters since I have been away in Los Angeles. Many of our friends who live in Washington, DC are being inundated with SNOW! Yet despite being home bound and shoveling snow, our friends are writing to me, and checking in to see that I am okay and trying to enjoy my time away. What humbles me about this is that instead of being envious that I have escaped the snow, I truly feel that others are happy for me. Happy that I am trying to find a way to escape the pain for just a few days. I so appreciate this level of concern and support and I feel the need to say THANK YOU! I received several photos today of the snow through e-mail, and it is nice to see what is happening in DC, without actually being there.Thank you for thinking of us and making us feel missed.

I was simply exhausted last night, and despite only a three hour time difference between Washington, DC and Los Angeles, my body clock was all thrown off. I went to bed very early last night, and while sleeping I was jolted awake by rumbling. At first I panicked that it was an earthquake, but then quickly realized it was just a very bad thunder storm. My parents and I had a lovely day together filled with good food and lots of conversation. My parents took me to a brand new outdoor mall. My mom told me that she thought Mattie would have loved this mall. I was perplexed by this statement because Mattie HATED shopping. However, once I saw the mall, I quickly understood. This outdoor mall was beautiful, had a playground, and an amazing fountain. The fountain performed a water show timed to music. Mattie would have absolutely loved it. Not to mention the fact that there was an old fashioned trolley train that gave shoppers a ride around the outdoor space. All I could think of is I wish every mall was like this, because if it were, I may have actually been able to shop with Mattie when he was alive. Our typical indoor malls were a sensory nightmare for Mattie, and many times he landed up melting down in them. Needless to say after several meltdowns, I quickly learned malls were NOT a good place to visit.

My parents introduced me to a tearoom they enjoy visiting, and we sat down had tea and enjoyed chatting. In the midst of our outings, we also reflected on the beauty of Mattie and how much we miss him. In a way, my parents feel the loss of Mattie to a similar degree as Peter and I. Not that I am happy about this, but it certainly makes me appreciate or at least it validates my intense feelings. I sometimes have to stand back and realize they are grieving the loss of Mattie, but also the major loss for me. Though I am an adult, I am still their child, and no parent wants to see their child suffering or in such great pain. Somehow actually being with my parents allows me to see these feelings in a way that distance communication just can't capture.

As Sunday approaches, I am scheduled to head home on a flight. A part of me wonders whether the plane will actually take off because of the blizzard conditions on the East Coast. However, I realize there is no real reason for me to run back home. I don't have the responsibilities I once did, and I also am aware that if I do head home, I will be surrounded at home by snow and potentially isolated with Mattie's things and memories.

I have chatted back and forth with Peter today, who attended his friend's wedding. I wanted to share two VERY different pictures with you tonight. The picture on the left was taken by Peter. While he was talking to me on the phone he commented on his views of the ocean. I asked him to send me a picture, and this is the one I received. It looks simply beautiful from my vantage point. The picture on the right was taken by Tad. My fellow nature lover. This is a sight he captured outside his window today. Lots of snow and a beautiful Cardinal stopping by for a visit.



I would like to end tonight's posting with two messages. The first message is from my friend, Charlie. Charlie wrote, "It's nice to see these happy pictures of Mattie and especially this nice sunny day when it is anything but here in Washington DC. It really was fortunate that you were able to change seats and sit with Ann. I have seen these overbooked flights many time and sometimes things get to be pretty unpleasant so I think you have a angel watching over you. I am glad that both you and Peter are off doing things elsewhere, because being trapped in the house by this weather is not good for anyone and it is especially bad when you need emotional support of friends and/or family. I hope that your visit with your parents is going well and that you are sharing the events in your life and reconnecting. I hope Peter is having a good time as well and that when you come back together you have some good things to share with each other."

The second message is from my colleague and friend, Denise. Denise wrote, "Glad to hear that you and Peter arrived safely at your destinations. I hope you both are able to find respite from your pain during your travels. I wanted to make an observation about your mom's story from earlier in the week. Of course it makes the most sense to see the rainbow as the sign from Mattie (and I agree with your mom...Mattie would certainly choose something big, bright, colorful and awesome like a rainbow as his sign). I might take it a step further, though. Your mom said LA hasn't seen significant rainfall in years, and yet this week they've endured "3 to 5 inches of rain almost every day with fierce winds, tornadoes, water spouts, lightning, thunder and hail." I submit that this weather anomaly is also part of Mattie's sign to your mom, signifying the horrific 13-months he/you all suffered on Earth before he was able to experience the comfort and love that is heaven (signified by his rainbow on Tuesday). I've always been one to look for deeper meaning in signs and symbols, so I can't help but think Mattie wanted to illustrate to your mom that even though life was really difficult for him (and everyone) for those 13 months, he is no longer suffering, and is indeed happy. Maybe it's also his way of showing you that although your pain is in the forefront of your life now, eventually it will feel less raw than it does now. Eventually, the memories of him will bring joy and not sadness (a rainbow after the storm, so to speak). I am continuing to pray for you and your family every day."

No comments: