Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

July 27, 2011

Wednesday, Julyl 27, 2011

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Tonight's picture was taken in May of 2007 at DutchWonderland. Mattie rode his first roller coaster at this theme park. It was love at first ride! He absolutely fell in love with the excitement of it! In this picture, Mattie and Peter were sitting in the fourth car from the top. Peter was on the right hand side wearing a white shirt and Mattie was sitting close to him most likely not sure what to expect!

Quote of the day: I walked a mile with Pleasure; she chattered all the way. But left me none the wiser For all she had to say. I walked a mile with Sorrow And ne'er a word said she; But oh, the things I learned from her When Sorrow walked with me! ~ Robert Browning

Today I attended my second Pilates class with my friend Christine. It literally took me about four or five days to recover from the last class. Last week after class if felt as if someone punched me in the stomach. I used muscles I never even knew existed. However, despite the intense workout last week, I wasn't in so much pain that I couldn't function or continue my walking routine a day later. So I viewed that as a positive sign. Today we worked with an apparatus called a Pilates Chair. If I thought the reformer was challenging last week, the chair was over the top. One would think how complicated could a CHAIR be!!??? Well something so simple is actually very physically demanding. By 45 minutes into the class my legs and abdomen were shaking from use. However, I have noticed big changes already with Pilates exercises. I no longer have lower back pain and as I travel throughout the day, I am more cognizant of my posture and my hunched over spine. If I correct these positions throughout the day, I land up feeling better at the end of the day. Pilates works your core section to try to lengthen and stretch that area and for me in the process it makes me more aware of my entire physical body and space. My biggest challenge last week was motion sickness. I have never been able to do floor exercises that involve lying down. There is something about my head being flat on the ground that disorients me. So today I took Dramamine before the class, and it worked like a charm. The teacher told me there are other students like me and those who also get vertigo from these exercises.

After the class, I went to meet Ann, Mary (Ann's mom), and Shayla (Mary's caregiver) at the salon. Mary was getting her hair done today, which is an outing of grand portion. Transferring Mary from her wheelchair into the car is a process that requires great skill and strength. Most people would have given up trying this adventure a long time ago. But Ann continues to work great efforts to get Mary out and about. By the end of the morning, Mary's hair looked lovely and she was happy to see her new style in the mirror.

I had the opportunity to collect at Ann's house all the chocolate that my friends donated to the snack cart on my birthday. When I got it home, I decided to organize and itemize it. Below you will see a picture of all the chocolate and the incredible listing of items. My friends were very generous with their gifts and I know these chocolates will make many family members living in the hospital happy. Or as happy as one can be while worrying and caring for a sick child 24 by 7.






Item Quantity
snickers (2.07 oz each) 70 bars
almond snickers (2.07 oz each) 3 bars
mini snickers 10.50 oz bag
fun size snickers (.57 oz each) 16 bars
Hershey milk chocolate bars (.49 oz each) 16  bars
Hershey dark chocolate bars (.49 oz each) 16 bars
Hershey milk chocolate bars (1.55 oz each) 66 bars
Hershey milk chocolate with nuts (1.45 oz each) 36 bars
Hershey dark chocolate bars (1.45 oz each) 3 bars
Hershey milk chocolate bar (7 oz each) 2 bars
M&Ms (1.69 oz each) 48 packs
M&Ms (.52 oz each) 8 packs
milky way midnight 10.50 oz bag
milky way  (2.05 oz each) 42bars
Twix (1.79 oz each) 44 bars
assorted M&Ms, Hershey, and Nestle bars 150 pieces/5.6 lbs
Kit Kat (1.50 oz bars) 39 bars
Musketeers (2.07 oz each) 3 bars
Reese's peanut butter cups (1.50 oz each) 18 bars
Reese's peanut butter dark choc cups (1.50 oz each) 3 bars
Rolo (1.7 oz each) 3 rolls
York peppermint patties (1.4 oz each) 3
Heath Bars (1.4 oz each) 3 bars
Hershey Nuggets assortment (19oz or 1lb) 1 bag
Hershey Nuggets with Almonds (12 oz) 1 bag
Hershey Bliss (9.6 oz) 1 bag
Hershey special dark miniatures (11 oz) 1 bag
Hershey miniatures (12 oz) 2 bags
Ferrero Rocher Hazelnut chocolates (5.3 oz net weight)  12 pieces
Ghirardelli Squares Dark & Raspberry (5.32 oz net weight) 1 bag
Lindt Lindor Assorted Truffles (21.2 oz net weight) 1 bag
Dove Bars (1.16 oz each) 10 bars
Dove Milk Chocolate Promises (9.50 oz net weight) 4 bags
Dove Almond Dark Chocolate Promises (8.50 oz net weight) 1 bag
Dove Dark Chocolate Promises (9.50 oz net weight) 2 bags
Dove Peanut Butter Chocolate Promises (9.80 oz net weight) 2 bags
assorted chocolates 1 gallon Ziploc

No comments: