Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

February 18, 2013

Monday, February 18, 2013

Monday, February 18, 2013

Tonight's picture was taken in February of 2009. Sally, the storybook lady, came to the hospital often to work with the children. Sally is a gifted performer and has a way of getting children out of their shells and playing along to a story. Sally always came dressed up in costume to portray a key character in whatever story she was reading to the children. Sally got Mattie RIGHT AWAY and he related to her. He loved playing along with her and on this particular day Mattie was learning about the art of drums in an African American tale. Sally also always came with props and the props were appreciated by Mattie because they helped to bring the story alive.


Quote of the day: We could never learn to be brave and patient, if there were only joy in the world. ~ Helen Keller


A few years ago, I had the opportunity to meet my mom's friend Diane. It was a true treat to meet her because I knew she was a faithful blog reader and had been following our story since Mattie developed cancer. However, Diane continues to follow our journey with me and I appreciate her support. In fact when we met each other for the first time it was as if we had known each other for years. We just seemed to understand and relate to one another immediately. Since our meeting, Diane surprises me on occasion with a care package in the mail. Like me, Diane loves to garden and she grows her own fruits too! So her care packages are usually filled with all sorts of treats from fresh fruits from her garden to teas and chocolates.

When I arrived at my parents house on Sunday, I found a See's candy box of chocolates in the shape of a heart awaiting me for Valentine's Day. I love See's candy and Diane knows that, but what she may not know is the box was, from my perspective, a symbol of our friendship. I am always deeply touched when someone goes out of their way to think of me. After all life is busy and it pulls us in ten different ways sometimes. Thoughtfulness however always captures my attention and seeing this box of chocolate was a wonderful greeting to Los Angeles!



Meanwhile back in Washington, DC, Peter went to pick up Patches today at the vet. The vet insisted on putting Patches back on pain medication. We figured this was probably a good idea since Patches seems to get more agitated away from us. However, now that she is home, all medications are being stopped. Patches is loopy and unable to eat at the moment. Which is why we stopped the pain meds a month ago. They seemed to be doing more harm than good. Any case as the day wore on, Patches found her way to the couch and jumped on a new fleece blanket my parents got for her. Leave it to Patches to seek out any blanket possible. So I am glad she is back home and with her Peter, her buddy.
 
The weather in Los Angeles has been glorious so far. So much so that I have walked every morning. It is ironic that my nerve issues feel better when I am walking rather than sitting down or not moving. Later today, I was outside in my parents garden planting. The notion of planting in February is absolutely hysterical to me. When we went to the garden store today everything was fully stocked as if it were spring time on the East Coast. Needless to say the birds were singing all around me, the sky was a true blue, and I can't say I miss anything about the Washington greyness or cold!
 

No comments: