Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

February 20, 2013

Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Tonight's picture was taken in February of 2009. Featured with Mattie in this photo was a vanilla milkshake. Mattie lived off of a few items while battling cancer and those items were: dunkin donuts, vanilla shakes, McDonald's chicken nuggets, cupcakes, Utz potato chips, macaroni and cheese, and pasta. That was IT! When people talk to me about nutritious diets for children who are battling cancer, I listen, but internally I am saying....... you have to be kidding!!!! Mattie's battle was horrific, he hated food, the sight and smell of it, therefore when he seemed to crave something no matter what it was, he got it. Mattie was practically skin and bones at the end, and therefore a balanced diet was not only unlikely to happen but it was a ridiculous notion! Also featured with Mattie in tonight's photo was a volcano kit. Mattie loved volcanoes and he particularly loved to see a volcanic eruption. Which we had that day right in the middle of the playroom. Needless to say several children came over to watch the process.


Quote of the day: Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved. ~ Helen Keller


Yesterday was an absolutely cold, grey, and rainy day in Los Angeles. However, despite the rain, I was outside and planting scrubs and flowers in my parent's backyard. The things I planted back in December are thriving, so I have continued my handiwork on this visit. My parent have a charming and elusive green hummingbird that visits their backyard and I got to see him today and other interesting birds which I do not see living in Washington, DC.

Though the sun was shining today, it was VERY windy. That wiping wind somehow takes it out of you. We walked my parent's neighborhood track this morning, through the wind, and while there we ran into two of her neighbors. One of the neighbors I never met before, but he was walking his rescue dog, and I got to hear about her life and how far she has come. It reminded me of Patches.... also abandoned and in bad shape when we found her. Yet with tender loving care, these animals can be rehabilitated to live long lives.

So the dog began our conversation and literally this fellow and I walked around the track together for about a mile. He is an older adult, and as my friend Karen jokes with me all the time, this age group relates to me! Perhaps, but I grew up in a household in which my maternal grandmother lived with us, so interacting with older adults in a way is second nature to me. Needless to say by the time our walk was over, I learned about his life and his family. In addition, he had the courage to acknowledge Mattie's loss with me and at one point I could see he had to change the subject matter because he was getting choked up about the tragedy of losing a child.

This evening we have been invited out to dinner to celebrate the birthday of one of my mom's friends. So I am signing off for today and leave you to reflect upon Keller's quote that character can't be developed in ease and quiet. There maybe some truth in that, but I have to admit that some "character" is simply hard to live with and accept.

 

No comments: