Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

August 29, 2016

Monday, August 29, 2016

Monday, August 29, 2016

Tonight's picture was taken in August of 2005. We took Mattie to another one of his favorite spots..... The George C. Page Museum, that features fossils of animals that were trapped in the La Brea Tar Pits. Pits which are still bubbling right outside the museum. Mattie was absolutely fascinated learning about how tar preserved animal bones and how these fossils are being studied today. The museum has a fabulous laboratory where you can watch scientists at work, and it truly captures the mind and imagination.


Quote of the day: When you have decided what you believe, what you feel must be done, have the courage to stand alone and be counted. ~ Eleanor Roosevelt


When my parent's tree is in bloom it looks a lot like this. Though I admit this is NOT a photo of their tree. But I did want to give you a feeling for how glorious a flowering pear is. It almost looks like snow in the spring!


My parents are working hard to figure out whether the tree can be saved or needs to be replaced. In the mean time the tree will be given vitamin B and the bark will be wrapped to prevent it from being exposed to the air, while it is healing. Hopefully in a few weeks they will know if the tree can truly be salvaged.



I guess I am in amazement that the neighbor throwing this teenage party on Saturday never came over to find out if we were okay, or to even assess the damages that this car caused. It is true they aren't responsible for the driver's accident, but I think I would have felt compelled to check on my neighbor if I knew the kid headed to my party did a great deal of damage to my neighbor's property. It tells me a lot about the neighbor and to me it is a sad commentary on people today! Also what if we weren't home when this kid drove into our tree???? No one from that party (two doors down from my parent's house) came to wait with the 17 year old driver responsible for the accident. They did not offer to help and basically ignored him as if he did not exist. The police officer assisting us said this behavior is very typical for teenagers especially if they deem they could be implicated in the accident. Can you imagine? Honestly I just wanted to sit down with this 17 year old driver and tell him..... these people aren't your friends! Friends are people who you can trust and who stand by your side not just in the fun times, but the challenging times. When people deny knowing you, it is time to face the music and realize you need new dance partners!

Later this afternoon, my mom and I went out for a walk! All I can say is OH MY! We were walking in direct sun, and it was over 100 degrees. After walking 2.8 miles, I literally gave out and was feeling ill. So we headed back, thankfully in the nick of time, before both of us suffering from heat exhaustion!



Tomorrow I head back to Washington, DC. So the next time you hear from me, I will be on the other coast!

1 comment:

Margy Jost said...

Vicki,
It is indeed a sad commentary on people who ignore something as big as this teenager smashing into your parents tree. Hopefully, his parents sat down and had a long talk with him that included thoughts on friendship. I hope your parents tree survives. I thought of snow immediately even before I read your blog. Mattie learned so many wonderful and unusual things. You provided so many amazing learning experiences for him. He looks so safe in your arms in this picture with your Mom.

I like your quote of the day. Eleanor Roosevelt was a brilliant woman and I have always admired her ability to stand up for things and not back away from controversy. Fly safely!