Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

September 1, 2016

Thursday, September 1, 2016

Thursday, September 1, 2016

Tonight's picture was taken on October 1, 2008. A day I will never forget. We took Mattie to NYC to be seen by two doctors at Memorial Sloan Kettering. One doctor was the head of oncology and the other an orthopedic surgeon. What was happening in this photo, was we were waiting for the surgeon to grace us with his presence. We waited HOURS for him. He had NO regard for his patients or their families, and then when we finally got into see him, he spent five minutes with us because he had a PRESSING social function to attend. He did not score points in my book and the whole Memorial Sloan Kettering experience was a nightmare. The head oncologist questioned why we even wanted to treat Mattie, because from his opinon NO ONE like Mattie ever lived to survive. So he recommended that we NOT provide treatment but simply palliative/end of life care. There was a lot wrong with this. He may have been accurate medically but psychosocially he was clueless. If I elected to do nothing and naturally Mattie would have died, I would have felt guilt and regret all my life as a parent, because I didn't do everything possible. To me this doctor, and the surgeon were unethical and inhumane and if I never see Sloan Kettering again that would be just fine by me. 


Quote of the day: Give the world the best you have and the best will come back to you. ~ Madeline Bridges


Today while I was out and about, I ran into two people who started chatting with me. First I have to qualify I was in Alexandria, VA NOT DC. Rarely will strangers have a conversation with you in DC. Like most major cities, people typically keep to themselves and mind their own business. However, the first person who started talking to me has grandchildren and was chatting about how they are learning to drive and the complications associated with that. Naturally after watching a 17 year old go 55mph in my parent's neighborhood (last weekend( and then land in their tree, I feel like I have first hand knowledge of the problem! But the reason I am writing about this tonight is because the man then turned to me and asked if I had children and were any of them driving. 

It is interesting no matter how many years Mattie has been gone, you just never know what situations will present themselves. Sometimes you are prepared for them and at other times they just happen. Like today. However, he was a nice man and really meant no harm, so clearly I wasn't going to start lecturing him. So I simply said no. Mattie would be turning 15 this year, and soon in theory could be applying for his driving permit. It puts things into context doesn't it?!


This morning I participated in a webinar. The webinar was on the psychosocial impact of childhood cancer! I can't tell you how BIG this is! The NIH typically highlights biomedical care and treatment, so to have a webinar on the FIRST DAY OF CHILDHOOD CANCER AWARENESS MONTH devoted to this topic is historical in my book!

As for a webinar, you basically can see and hear the speakers by logging into a website, but in this particular case if you wanted to ask questions, you had to submit them through Twitter. Not my favorite social media platform. In any case, Peter and I worked on questions ahead of time and submitted them last night, which helped the moderator today. Then throughout the hour long webinar, I got on Twitter and submitted additional questions. The moderator of the webinar was Dr. Maryland Pao, who is the Clinical Director of the National Institute of Mental Health. Maryland is also part of the psychosocial standards team and worked with us since 2013. On the webinar panel was Dr. Lori Wiener, who is the co-director of the Behavioral Health Core and head of the Psychosocial Support and Research at the National Cancer Institute. Peter and I know Lori because we have worked closely with her since 2012, to develop the National Psychosocial Standards of Care. Lori co-led this project. 

If this topic interests you, I encourage you to watch the webinar by clicking the link below. I was thrilled to see Mattie Miracle acknowledged!


NIH Webinar on the Psychosocial Impact of Childhood Cancer:

https://plus.google.com/events/cn9j610ip3mpots5i7f5m30t3j4?hl=en

No comments: