Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

August 28, 2016

Saturday, August 27, 2016

Saturday, August 27, 2016


Tonight's picture was taken in August of 2004. It is one of my favorite photos of Mattie that I took! We were visiting my parents in Los Angles and in typical Mattie fashion..... he decided to be a character! He found my sandals, put them on, and was parading around the house. Check out his smile, he was clearly proud of himself.










Quote of the day: Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen. ~ Anonymous


What have we been doing for the last several hours? The answer is we have been standing outside my parents house dealing with a major accident. A teenager was driving too fast, WHILE the sun was still up, and took the corner by my parent's home too fast. He lost control of the car, almost hit a kid, and came flying onto the front lawn. Thanks to the pear tree...... it stopped the car before hitting the house and potentially killing the driver.

I have never met my parents neighbors before, but I met ALL of them including the kids. One kid who is 8 years old, was fascinated by what was going on as well as interacting with the police. So this fellow was with us most of the evening. The police did an OUTSTANDING job and managed the incident beautifully. But who expects this to happen? The scary part is my mom and I were backing out of our driveway, when we heard a car speeding and skidding out of control. So my mom stopped the car. If she was further out of the driveway, this car would have hit definitely hit me and most likely would have seriously injured me. So it does put this all into perspective.


Today, we went out to lunch in Calabasas, which is about 45 minutes West of where my parents live. The outdoor mall that we went to, is like NO mall I know of. The area is filled with ducks, fountains, turtles, birds of all kinds, and is simply a wonderful escape.

While at lunch, we had these gals waddling over to greet us. They were looking for a hand out and many people obliged the ducks!
At the other end of the outdoor shopping complex is a beautiful fountain with bronze sculptures and turtles! A ton of turtles to be exact!
I truly believe Mattie would have enjoyed this sight today! He was into any sort of water element and of course turtles!
Is this not an adorable turtle fountain?
A frog fountain! Not sure which one I like more.... the turtle or the frog.
This is an overview of the entire fountain. Which looks very pond like, doesn't it? It has statues of kids... two are in the water, one is on land trying to pull in the row boat, and one little boy is in the row boat. It is the boy in the boat that always reminds me of Mattie.
I entitle this Turtle Beach! Don't you just love the turtle line up!
I actually had to research what this turtle is doing! My mom and I watched this big turtle climb on top of the other one. Bascially what I found out was that this turtle was competing for the best basking site and this is what turtles do both in captivity and in the wild.
This is the other end of the fountain! To me just coming to see the water, the turtles, and the ducks make it worth the drive!

1 comment:

Margy Jost said...

Vicki,

It seems you captured always, true Mattie! I love the picture you posted today!