Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

February 2, 2017

Thursday, February 2, 2017

Thursday, February 2, 2017

Tonight's picture was taken in February of 2009. I was sent out of the child life playroom for quite some time, so that Mattie could surprise me with valentine's when I returned. Mattie worked on this project with his art therapists. Mattie cut out hearts, wrote messages, and designed a box and heart crown for me. Jenny, one of Mattie's art therapists snapped photos of us that day. In fact my favorite photo of Mattie and I in the hospital, was captured by Jenny. I will post it perhaps tomorrow. In any case, I still have this box of valentine's Mattie made for me. 



Quote of the day: The world is so empty if one thinks only of mountains, rivers & cities; but to know someone who thinks & feels with us, & who, though distant, is close to us in spirit, this makes the earth for us an inhabited garden.  ~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe


I had the opportunity to go out to dinner tonight with my friend in cancer. I met this friend in 2013, when she lost her only child. That of course was the first commonality that we shared. Since the first day we met, through to today, we text message each other everyday. No matter where we are or go. Initially I wrote to her daily because I knew how hard it was to survive the first year without your child. But typically after year one, the contacts and support ends. Which is why I did not stop writing after year one. Of course as the years continued we began to mutually support each other. I can try to describe how I feel or what I am thinking to other friends, but that isn't quite the same as someone living this journey of losing an only child. 

Tonight we also shared the highs and lows of running a Foundation, another commonality we share. In any case, Peter is on travel for work this week, so I appreciated the opportunity to get out, talk, and eat. We did not solve the world's problems or even our own for that matter. But there is something reaffirming to know you aren't alone in thoughts and feelings. 

1 comment:

Margy Jost said...

Vicki, It is so true about the comfort of a friend who shares your thoughts & experiences. I am thinking, it might be Ilona. It makes me happy to know you both find comfort in each other. I firmly believe, always have, that only another parent can know the true heartbreak of your child dying. I wish Patti had someone. I know after Christian died, they were so disillusioned by COMPASSIONATE FRIENDS, they started their own small group, that met at their house. It was very religion based, although only parents who had lost a child came. Patti & I are good for each other but I don't have all the thoughts, she has. She is able to talk about anything though and I truly want to know.

I love your quotes! Many of them speak to me!

You already know, my very favorite picture of you & Mattie is your profile picture. You are wearing the crown of Motherhood and your darling little boy's nose is touching your's. This picture is precious beyond words. I do love your picture posting and there are so many I really love.
I am a picture person. They tell a story!!