Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

January 7, 2018

Sunday, January 7, 2018

Sunday, January 7, 2018

Tonight's picture was taken in January of 2006. Mattie was in preschool that year and I remember asking his teacher, Margaret, whether there was a holiday activity I could do for the class. Margaret explained to me that December was a busy month, but would love for me to come in during the first week of January and bring gingerbread houses for the kids to decorate. Sounds good in theory, but I never made a gingerbread house from scratch in my life. Margaret gave me her gingerbread house molds, my mother in law gave me recipes for gingerbread and royal icing, and I did the rest. It is a lot harder than it looks, particularly trying to glue the pieces of the house together using royal icing. Mattie and his classmates LOVED the houses and you should have seen their eyes light up when they found out that the "glue" was really royal icing and was edible! Mattie actually got to bring both houses that I made home, after they were decorated. Mattie was very happy and proud and his classmates were equally thrilled to see, touch, and play with all the candy and icing. 


Quote of the day: A day without sunshine is like, you know, night. ~ Steve Martin


I am awaiting the 40 degree temperatures promised to us this week. I can't take the single digits and wind. The sun was glorious today which did help. Sunny continues to go out for walks regardless of the temperatures! 

We walked Roosevelt Island today, mind you this is after Peter walked Sunny at least 3 miles beforehand in the city. I couldn't get over what we saw today! Literally we there were six deer running in circles around us! Can you see this deer with his white tail. 

I did not have my phone out. But when Peter alerted me to deer, I scrambled for it, took my gloves off and started snapping photos. Frozen fingers and all.

The reason why deer were circling us is because someone let their dog off leash and this dog was chasing the deer something fierce. We tried to distract the dog, but this dog had a one track mind.

I caught several deer leaping in the air, which I know is hard to see given the background color matches the fur on the deer. 

Can you see the deer on our pathway in front of us? I have never seen six deer on the Island at one time. I am quite certain we wouldn't have seen them if it weren't for that loose dog. 

Mattie and Sunny would have gotten along great, because neither one of them was ever affected by the weather. No matter the temperature, they love being outside. It is something that I have gotten adjusted to over the years, and I almost forgot about my hours out in the cold on playgrounds or on our deck with Mattie. Sunny has reminded me of those moments in time and has picked up with Mattie left off. 

1 comment:

Margy Jost said...

Vicki,
I love this picture of Mattieđź’™