Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

April 21, 2019

Sunday, April 21, 2019

Sunday, April 21, 2019

I do not have an electronic copy of this photo. So today, I literally took a photo of a photo hanging in our hallway. I believe it was taken around Easter of 2005. So Mattie would have been three years old. 

I remember taking Mattie to the mall that particular day to visit with the Easter Bunny. Mattie wasn't into these life sized characters, as he found them a bit scary. Which is why I only have one formal photo of Mattie with Santa and one with the Bunny. But to me this photo is priceless. 






Quote of the day: A rebirth out of spiritual adversity causes us to become new creatures. ~ James Faust

No Easter is quite the same without our bunny. I decided to post two more photos of Mattie throughout the years.... he loved learning about the meaning of Easter, Easter egg hunts, and celebrating the beauty of spring.















Ten Easters without Mattie seems unthinkable, and yet we, like so many other bereaved parents, live the impossible. Our thoughts are with our supporters and of course with families who lost a child to cancer, as we will forever experience one empty seat at the table.

We were invited out to brunch today. While walking to the restaurant, another restaurant was featuring the Easter bunny! I waved to the bunny and passed him by. But then I asked Peter to go back so I could take a photo with the Bunny. The Bunny happily compiled. I posted it on Facebook and said.... "for Mattie!"
We went out to brunch today with my friend Ann and her family. Her daughter Abbie, was a classmate of Mattie's and I would say it is a disorienting experience sometimes to see and interact with Mattie's classmates. I say this because in my mind Mattie will always be 7 and I expect his classmates to also be frozen in time. Of course that isn't rational, but there is a lot about grief that makes no sense. 





On holidays, Peter and I typically don't know what to do or how to celebrate them. So going out was definitely a diversion today. After brunch we took Sunny for close to a four mile walk. He loved it and for once I think we wore him out!

No comments: