Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

April 24, 2019

Wednesday, April 24, 2019

 Wednesday, April 24, 2019

Tonight's picture was taken in the spring of 2006. Mattie's preschool teacher, Lana, posted this on Facebook the other day. Lana is the teacher in pink. It is hard to believe that in this photo of 14 people, two are no longer with us.... Mattie and his teacher, Margaret. This was a very special preschool experience, so much so that several of the moms from this class remain our friends and are deeply committed to Mattie Miracle. 


Quote of the day: Good veterinarians talk to animals. Great veterinarians hear them talk back. ~ unknown    


Sunny had his annual check up today. He is 7 years old and apparently is considered a "senior." I am not sure what set me off more about this visit, but I would have to say it started with the vet herself. She isn't the vet I typically see, as our vet was on vacation, so I had to work with her colleague. I won't be making that mistake again. I truly thought this woman was a twit, flighty, and let's add judgmental to the list. 

She started with me on Sunny's weight. She wanted to know what I was feeding him. I told her he is a picky eater and therefore I land up giving him a lot of plain people food. She wasn't happy with my decision. So literally she pulled out every treat she had in the office, to show me that Sunny would eat a "healthy" treat. Guess what? My Sunny did not touch a solid thing she gave him, and she tried just about everything. She even pulled out peanut butter. Mind you she never asked me whether Sunny likes peanut butter, which he doesn't! At one point, she popped a treat in his mouth and he spit it right back out at her. Somehow I think Sunny was as irritated with her as I was. Mind you this gracious visit cost $85, without all the vaccines he needed. Her exam was poor in my opinion and fortunately Sunny is healthy, otherwise, I would be having a field day with this woman. 

Meanwhile, in the waiting area of the vet's office, I bumped into a friend I haven't seen in a long time. I wasn't expecting to see her there, as I did not know we went to the same vet. You know when you interact with someone, and you know something isn't right! Well that is how I felt when I saw my friend. I asked her how she was doing and she then told me she was diagnosed with breast cancer at Christmas time. I am still in shock because I never knew she was dealing with any of this. Adult cancer is different from childhood cancer, because as an adult you are able to decide how much information you share with others. I naturally appreciate and respect such decisions, I just feel terrible because I wasn't able to support her as she supported my family when Mattie had cancer. 

Meanwhile another friend of mine sent me a photo of her Forget Me Not flowers in her garden. Mattie Miracle sent seeds to supporters years ago, and most of us never got a plant from the seeds. But this one is thriving and is beautiful! A reminder of Mattie in my friend's garden. 

No comments: