Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

April 23, 2019

Tuesday, April 23, 2019

Tuesday, April 23, 2019 -- Mattie died 500 weeks ago today.

Tonight's picture was taken on Easter of 2006. We took Mattie to Clyde's that day for brunch! It never dawned on me that the Easter rabbit would be there greeting children. As this bunny approached us, Mattie was VERY scared! But I explained to Mattie that this was a friendly bunny, who wanted to wish him a happy Easter. With that, Mattie decided to let the bunny sit next to him for a photo! It was a priceless moment in time. 


Quote of the day: Your time is your life. That is why the greatest gift you can give someone is your time. It is not enough to just say relationships are important; we must prove it by investing time in them. Words alone are worthless… Relationships take time and effort, and the best way to spell love is “T-I-M-E.” ~ Rick Warren


I had the opportunity today to visit with my friend Margy. Margy was diagnosed with metastatic ovarian cancer in January of 2018. I will never forget learning this news because days later I went with her to Baltimore to consult with my gyn-oncologist. 

Margy and I met through Facebook, as she was a play therapist at a local hospital and had worked with friends of ours. So we got connected electronically through friends, and we have been friends ever since. 

Relationships grow over time and I think making time for people in our lives is important. Though we do not live around the corner from each other, I try to visit Margy monthly. This month we were celebrating her birthday! With every visit I try to bring something sweet. Today's sweet was an ice cream cake! However, with cancer, one quickly gains perspective and we really celebrated the fact that we can acknowledge another birthday together. 

I know exactly what works, because I had Team Mattie providing me support through Mattie's cancer journey. Friends within the community brought me all sorts of things from chocolate to tea! Which maybe why I am still addicted to these items. I never have a chocolate free day. But it is the many acts of kindness that I received which I will always be grateful for. Though I can't return all that kindness to those who gave it to me, I will never forget what it was like to be a recipient of it. Which is why I try to carry that feeling forward in my daily life. 

No comments: