Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

March 5, 2021

Friday, March 5, 2021

Friday, March 5, 2021

Tonight's picture was taken in March of 2008. As was typical, we took Mattie for a walk in the woods every saturday and sunday. Sometimes it was Roosevelt Island, and other times, we would explore other parks and trails. Mattie was my nature fellow. He thrived outdoors and you could even see his demeanor change. When Mattie was a baby, the only time he was really quiet was when he was in his stroller and being pushed around outside. Which is why early on in our relationship, I learned to be outside regardless of the weather. 




Quote of the day: Today's coronavirus update from Johns Hopkins

  • Number of people diagnosed with the virus: 28,881,036
  • Number of people who died from the virus: 522,325


I couldn't take it anymore. I haven't cut my hair for a year. Today I finally got it styled again. My hairdresser who has been cutting and styling my hair for twenty years retired during COVID. So not only did I desperately need a haircut, I had to find a new person to do it! Given my BAD experiences with hairstylists in the past, I won't go to just anyone. 

Years ago when when Mattie was a baby, I went to about three different stylists. All felt that I needed very short hair. So I tried it, but hated it. It took me years for my hair to grow out from those three hairstylists. Which is why if I sense you aren't listening to me, you aren't going to be cutting my hair!

This is the after look. Yes she actually cut off two inches of my hair, but she gave me long layers so that I can still wear my hair long. 









While getting ready this morning, I heard on the radio a story about a man living in Georgetown who is fighting his neighbors about his right to display ten foot transformer statues in his front lawn. The man who lives in this house is a Georgetown professor in neurology and neurosurgery. Given that people are stuck at home, he wanted to provide some fun and entertainment for people and children in his neighborhood. So he took some of the statues in his house and brought them outdoors. Typically flower boxes are by his front door, but he removed them and replaced them with the statues. So the question is why are the neighbors complaining now, considering something large was always standing in that space. 

Neighbors are arguing that these statues are eye sores, they detract from the neighborhood's character and charm, and if this is allowed, then what will be next? Neighbors also complain that the statues are bringing traffic onto their street and people are congregating during COVID. City officials have gotten involved and they are trying to determine if the land the statues are sitting on belongs to the professor or to the city. If it belongs to the city, he will need to file for permits in DC. 

I honestly don't know where I stand on this issue. As I feel homeowners should have some say as to what they want to do and display on their property. I am sure if Mattie were alive, he would think this is neat. I on the other hand am not quite certain I would want to see this outside my window everyday. Though in comparison to the graffiti and twenty homeless tents that I see every day from my bedroom window, I would prefer the transformers. 

https://dcist.com/story/21/03/03/transformer-statues-georgetown-debate/

No comments: