Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

March 1, 2021

Monday, March 1, 2021

Monday, March 1, 2021

Tonight's picture was taken in March of 2007. It is hard to believe that this photo was taken in a spring month! That day we did get snow and of course that inspired Mattie to want to play and build snow castles outside. So we did it! Mattie was the kind of child who needed mental stimulation and challenges. Without that, he got bored and just did not seem happy. In any case, from Mattie I learned that it is okay to be outside regardless of the weather. He loved it, so I made it work. Which is why I know Mattie and Sunny would have been great companions. They are both motivated to be outside and exploring nature. 



Quote of the day: Today's coronavirus update from Johns Hopkins.

  • Number of people diagnosed with the virus: 28,659,784
  • Number of people who died from the virus: 514,333



Today was a very unusual day for me. I had a very productive morning, and at 11am, I decided to take Sunny to Roosevelt Island. After our walk, we got in the car and headed back home using the George Washington Parkway. It is a divided two lane highway, but it has its share of windy turns. It was also a rainy day, which never is a good thing in Washington, DC.

This photo shows you the section of GW Parkway that I was on. It isn't a photo from today, but one I found on the internet from an accident in the past. Today, I was where the two police vehicles were on the right hand side of the photo. I was driving in the right hand lane and there were three cars in front of me. It was a typical drive home, until I literally saw a car crossing from the left hand lane, flip in front of us in the air and he then landed by crashing into the stone wall on the right. I heard no brakes screeching, nothing to prepare me for what I saw. I literally had to stomp on the brakes because if I did not slow down, I would have crashed into the three cars in front of me. Fortunately Sunny was harnessed into the back seat, but even so, his whole body hit the back of our front seats. He did not know what was happening, but I had to panic stop. It is a true miracle that me, the three cars in front of me, and the driver who hit the wall are all okay. 

Thankfully I was able to brake and not hit any of the cars, but I consider this the gift of the week. Because we could have all landed up in the hospital or dead from such an accident. 

No comments: