Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

March 4, 2021

Thursday, March 4, 2021

Thursday, March 4, 2021

Tonight's picture was taken in March of 2009. Mattie was in the child life playroom at the hospital and in the middle of a science experiment. On Fridays, the University's chemistry club would visit the pediatric floor to interact with the children and do hands on learning. Mattie LOVED all these visits, so much so that even when he was too weak or ill to leave his room, he always requested the Club leaders come in to visit him. I can't tell you how thankful I was for these positive diversions!


Quote of the day: Coronavirus update from Johns Hopkins.

  • Number of people diagnosed with the virus: 28,819,554
  • Number of people who died from the virus: 520,071


It was a day of walking for me, with over 20,000 steps, which rounds out to about 10 miles. First thing this morning, I had to walk to the dentist. That is about a 35 minute walk in Washington, DC. Typically I don't mind the walk, but with buildings boarded up, homeless everywhere, and instability all around me, it makes me uneasy. After that adventure, I got home and Sunny wanted to go out for a walk. So I took him to Roosevelt Island and we walked for two hours. Then I got home and a friend asked if I would meet her and her niece near the George Washington University campus. Her niece is a high school student and is starting early with looking at colleges. Because of where Peter and I live, I always traverse the University's campus. But it is different when you are showing someone else around. 

I did not take these photos. I downloaded them from the internet. Despite the fact that the University is in the heart of the city with no defined boundaries, it is a very lovely urban campus. We have two quads where students typically gather. This is one of them, right near the library. I can't tell you how many times I would cross this quad while I was at school. Even after I had Mattie, I would take his stroller on campus and we would sit near the fountain, feed the birds, and enjoy the grass space. 

In many ways today's walk was like a trip down memory lane. A memory of simpler times (even though getting a PhD was stressful and challenging) in which I naive about children being diagnosed with cancer. 


This is the second quad that I absolutely love. During the spring the trees and flowers are blooming and it is simply a glorious space. A space I took Mattie to as well. I must admit, I am not used to walking through this campus and not seeing a ton of students. It is just unnatural and makes you sad. 
I passed many buildings on campus that I either took classes in, taught classes in, or worked in. This building is the Graduate School of Education. I spent ten years of my life in this building, getting both a master's and Ph.D., working as the department's graduate assistant, and then as a part-time faculty member. It is thanks to my graduate assistant work, that my entire Ph.D. tuition was covered. I came to the University when I was in my 20s. So it is where I grew up and frankly given my trajectory there, I always thought my life would be in academia. But as I learned quickly, life throws you curves, and you have two choices..... learn, adapt, and evolve, or become stagnant, stuck, and bitter. It would be very easy for me to be bitter and today's walk back in time, does give me pause. But I earned my doctorate, no one can take that away from me, and I truly believe I took my academic experience with me through Mattie's cancer journey. Which ultimately shaped the vision and mission of Mattie Miracle. 

No comments: