Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

July 6, 2022

Wednesday, July 6, 2022

Wednesday, July 6, 2022

Tonight's picture was taken in July of 2005. Mattie was three years old and that summer we took him to the Outer Banks, in North Carolina. On the way onto the Island we always stopped at Morris Farms! I loved the produce and Mattie loved the farm equipment. It was an excellent stop for all of us. As you can see, Mattie was all business on top of this tractor. 


Quote of the day: Presence is more than just being there. ~ Malcolm S. Forbes


Though I don't think this quote was written in the context of caregiving, it aptly applies. Being a caregiver, when dementia is involved, requires constant supervision. To be physically present! But being present is actually the easy part. Though of course this is physically demanding, however, what sets this job over the top is being emotionally present and aware. The emotional content that works its way into every hour of my role can take your breath away. 

I don't only absorb the emotions and feelings of my dad, I also have my mom. Usually one is having or expressing issues, but today it was both of them. Honestly, it is 6pm, and I am absolutely frazzled, with no end in sight. I am frazzled from hearing and managing their discontent, their unhappiness about their situation and life, and I love when my dad gets into a wallowing state of self pity. This is when he tells me he is a burden! The first time he used that word with me, I listened and tried to reassure him. Certainly I could continue to reassure him, because when dealing with moderate stage dementia, every thirty minutes is like a new day for my dad. However, today, given my mom's issues that I faced, I was not as patient as I typically am. So today, I gave my dad a reality check. 

He is wallowing because he views himself as a physical burden. I feel it is important for him to see himself as most of us do, and that is for his age he functions fairly well. He can walk, talk, and eat. Those are three pluses. I have slowly been helping him see that his bigger issues are cognitive. Which is why he goes to a memory care center three times a week, four hours at a time. His outbursts usually are a result of spending time at the memory center. He rather be home. However, I tried that for 3.5 months and no matter what I did, he slept the day away. Which I don't think is good for him cognitively or physically. Therefore I felt I had no other choice but to turn to the community for outside engagement and stimulation. I am not sure if he thinks I am parking him there by day, so we can do things without him?! 

I even asked him about this, but understand that even in my dad's heyday, he was NEVER physically active and he had few to NO interests outside of work. Therefore, even when we got together as a family or went on vacation together, he always sat, while we toured around and did things. I honestly believe this has come back to bite him, as having outside interests in my opinion is the key to surviving life. 

Any case, I did explain to my dad that the average user of the memory care center is there from 7am to 5pm. My dad is only there from 10am to 2pm (3 days a week). The rest of the time he is with me! Somehow he did not seem to know this until I explained it again. So the perception of being a burden and being disengaged from his family, even for a short period of time, is problematic for him. So he needs constant reassurance, which is another role I play for both of my parents EVERY day! 

Long way of saying.... my role is not for the meek. It requires physical and mental strength, and I would say the fact that I haven't cracked up yet is remarkable.  

No comments: