Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

August 18, 2022

Thursday, August 18, 2022

Thursday, August 18, 2022

Today's picture was taken on August 6, 2009, the day after we learned Mattie's cancer metastasized throughout his body, and his diagnosis was terminal. Pictured with Mattie was Jocelyn, Mattie's osteosarcoma buddy. It is absolutely tragic that both of these beautiful people lost their cancer battles. Jocelyn came to the clinic that day to help support Mattie. She came with her sister and all of them constructed cardboard boats at the art table and then had races in the large sink by the table. While this was happening, Peter and I were meeting with Mattie's doctor to talk about the next step of his care..... end of life care. It was a day I will never forget, and I can't tell you how horrific it was to hear from a doctor that there was NOTHING else that could be done for Mattie. Mattie was dying and I had no control over this!


Quote of the day: Go and love someone exactly as they are. And then watch how quickly they transform into the greatest, truest version of themselves. When one feels seen and appreciated in their own essence, one is instantly empowered. ~ Wes Angelozzi


It's been a ridiculous day so far and it is only 1pm. This morning was like a revolving door with people coming to service some equipment in our backyard, the plumber (who is still here and working on issues), Sunny's groomer was in the driveway in her mobile unit, and of course me balancing my parents. Thankfully Peter is home because at some point, I literally want to scream!

Meanwhile, after eating breakfast and doing brain games today, my dad took to his chair and is still there. It is 1:15pm, and this is my current view.

My mom spends a large amount of daytime hours sleeping if she isn't moving. I have noticed that she stays up very late at night and I wonder how well she actually sleeps. All I know is she is up at 5:30 or 6am every morning, when in my opinion she could be sleeping later so she has more energy for the day. But I am learning rationalizing with either of them is futile. 

I tried to get my dad to do his 10 minute walking routine, but I gave up. He has no energy today. Given that at 2pm, I need to pack them up to drive 30-40 minutes to Arlington for my dad's back to back occupational and physical therapy sessions, I am not worried that I couldn't get any physical activities done at home. In fact, I am actually worried about how I will keep my dad awake and engaged for his 45 minutes of occupational therapy and his 90 minute physical therapy evaluation. I realize that I have given it my best shot, but my dad's days of therapy for beneficial purposes are coming to a close. 

Yesterday I baked homemade brownies. The reason I did this was for our plumber. He is a lovely person, who drops everything to help us at a moment's notice. We met Cody about a year ago, and has helped us with about every plumbing need possible. Like me, Cody loves chocolate, so whenever he visits, I bake! Cody even introduced Mattie Miracle to his company and the company is a donor both as an annual sponsor and they contribute gifts in kind to all our item drives. 


No comments: