Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

August 14, 2022

Sunday, August 14, 2022

Sunday, August 14, 2022

Tonight's picture was taken in August of 2008, soon after Mattie was diagnosed with cancer. That day, he went for a walk with Peter, our neighbor JP and his dog, JJ. Mattie loved JJ and always wanted a dog of his own. I am grateful that Mattie at least had JJ in his life. Prior to Mattie's diagnosis, he would be running around with JJ and had no problem holding his leash. But after his diagnosis, Mattie was a bit more fearful and this translated in his behavior around JJ. 




Quote of the day: The only thing that is ultimately real about your journey is the step that you are taking at this moment. That’s all there ever is. ~  Eckhart Tolle


This photo was taken on August 14, 2020. It was my parent's 60th wedding anniversary. Though we were in the throws of COVID, I arranged for a dinner gathering with two friends of theirs and we sat outside in the heat. At that point, my dad was two months post-recovery from being hospitalized for two weeks (urinary sepsis and an impacted colon). This hospitalization sent his dementia spiraling downhill, as he went into the hospital with early stage dementia and came out with delirium, which when stabilized left him with moderate stage dementia. It is truly hard to imagine that my dad was able to think for himself, shower and dress himself without assistance up until May of 2020. 


This photo was taken on August 14, 2019. My parents were in Virginia with me because we just got back from a Canadian cruise together. It was on that cruise that I confronted my parents about my dad's dementia (yet again) and said there was no more waiting, we had to address this with the doctor NOW. For this cruise, my mom did not help my dad pack. So he did not bring the right clothes NOR did he bring enough of his prescription medication! Now looking back, I realize that my mom wasn't only in denial about my dad's condition, she was having issues of her own.


This photo was taken on August 14, 2013. We were on a European cruise and we celebrated my parent's anniversary on the ship. Traveling with my dad was challenging (not like now) but it still had its issues. I am thankful they did all of these trips, because getting around now would take an act of God. 



This evening, Peter and I are taking my parents out and though these milestones look and feel different now, I still feel it is important to acknowledge these moments in a way that works for them. 

No comments: