Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

September 30, 2022

Friday, September 30, 2022

Friday, September 30, 2022

Tonight's picture was taken in September of 2007. Mattie came home from kindergarten that day with this creation! I enrolled Mattie in an after school program called construction club. The club was run by his teacher and this was an activity Mattie absolutely loved. His teacher collected everyday objects and the kids had a great time assembling them in creative ways. By that time, Mattie was a glue gun champ, as he learned this skill in preschool. I can't tell you how many creations came home with him that year. When Mattie was diagnosed with cancer a year later, he took the lessons he learned in construction camp and built all sorts of things with objects found at the hospital. 


Quote of the day: Walk on, walk on with hope in your heart and you’ll never walk alone. ~ Rodgers and Hammerstein


Last night my mom interrupted a conversation Peter was having with my dad. She really did not know what they were talking about. Instead, I notice she sometimes makes up things and she snapped at Peter. 

Most times Peter and I can absorb the stuff coming at us. But there are times it isn't possible and the only thing one of us can do is either start screaming or walk away. Peter chose to walk away and of course I had to have a conversation with my mom about her behavior. The whole thing is exhausting. Which is why when I received this beautiful photo from my friend in California yesterday, it made me smile. Her husband was admitted to the hospital recently. While walking through the hospital hallways, she saw this and thought of me. That alone makes me smile. 


The message is simple, beautiful, and meaningful. I do believe that no matter what we are going through, we can always have a ray of hope. It is within this ray of hope that miracles can be found. 

For example, when Mattie was diagnosed with cancer, we were dealing with what felt like the impossible. But given we had an amazing support system inside and outside of the hospital, this gave us the strength and hope necessary to keep the faith. Our greatest miracle (saving Mattie) was not achieved, but it was within this nightmare and during our greatest loss that I discovered the beauty of those around me. 


When I look at the windows at night, this is a typical occurrence. We have a family of deer that visit us nightly. They particularly love our roses. 
This gal came right up to our front door. 

No comments: