Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

September 27, 2022

Tuesday, September 27, 2022

Tuesday, September 27, 2022 -- Mattie died 678 weeks ago today. 

Tonight's picture was taken in September of 2006. Mattie was four years old and as you can see was trying to play with Patches, our calico cat. Patches was great with Mattie and she just understood from the moment we brought him home from the hospital, that he was important, and she had to behave around him. Of course when Mattie was a toddler, he did try to chase her and pull her tail. I corrected that right away, and instead Mattie learned how to treat her gently and kindly. He loved her and they had their own special bond. So much so that when Mattie died, Patches slept on Mattie's bed for months. Something she never did when he was alive. 


Quote of the day: This is what I like about photographs. They're proof that once, even if just for a heartbeat, everything was perfect. ~ Jodi Picoult


We had no planned activities today! I had high hopes that I would have a few hours to myself to work on a PowerPoint presentation! I must have been kidding myself. I spent hours helping my parents this morning from one task to another. By noon, I had a meltdown and told them that I actually have other things to do. Though hard to believe, since I cater to their every need from morning to night. I then tried to work at my computer for a while, but I did not make it thirty minutes before the next request came and I had to help my dad to the bathroom. By that point, I calmed down and realized there is only so much I can control. That I will get to the presentation when I can. Really my only time to myself is after 10pm. But at that point, I am exhausted and I don't have the energy physically or mentally to do much! 

I had to devote time today to making my mom two doctor appointments. Her wrist is swollen and bothering her and I wanted to get a hand surgeon on the calendar just in case her situation doesn't improve. She also wants to see our podiatrist. So of course all of this requires new patient paperwork and coordination. While managing all of this, I checked on my dad and noticed he has a goose egg sized bump on his forehead. I know he did not fall, nor hit anything, because I watch him like a hawk. He did not wake up like this and was fine after his exercise routine. So the only conclusion I came up to was he has a spider bite. I can see a red dot in the center of a large lump. I have been icing his head and I am hoping the swelling goes down by tomorrow. Thankfully it isn't itchy because when my dad gets a mosquito bite for example he scratches and scratches and causes an infection. It is truly problematic, and I just can't get through to him due to his dementia. Instead he gets fixated on itching and what should clear up in a day or so takes weeks to resolve because of his behaviors. Now I have learned that all bites need to be covered. Not with a regular band aid either, as he is allergic to latex. But with a sensitive skin (no latex) bandage. The one thing you learn with caregiving, is to be resourceful and creative. Trust me with my dad, I am constantly thinking outside the box. 

No comments: