Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

October 1, 2022

Saturday, October 1, 2022

Saturday, October 1, 2022

Tonight's picture was taken in September of 2005. Mattie was three years old and that weekend we went in a row boat on the Potomac River. Peter took Mattie on the water often in the Fall and Spring. But that day I was included in the fun and naturally with me came my camera. Mattie loved being on the water and was fascinated by boats. So much so that he would tell everyone that he was saving whatever money he had to buy a boat. Most people thought he meant a toy boat, but what Mattie meant was a real life sized boat. 


Quote of the day: When we honestly ask ourselves which person in our lives means the most to us, we often find that it is those who, instead of giving advice, solutions, or cures, have chosen rather to share our pain and touch our wounds with a warm and tender hand. ~ Henri Nouwen


On Tuesday morning, I did brain games with my dad, his 15 minute walking routine, and then his physical therapy regimen. After which I put him in his recliner to rest. About thirty minutes later I walked passed his chair and thought I saw something on his face. I couldn't tell what it was, so I went closer and noticed a welt the size of a chicken egg over his left eye. I also noticed a pinpoint-sized dot in the center. He wasn't complaining of itching, which he frequently does. So to me it wasn't a mosquito or fly bite. I deduced he was bite by a spider. I put topical Benadryl on it and iced it. But as of today, the swelling isn't getting better. Instead, I would say that his eyes are so puffy, he can hardly open them. 

Given all the people I have taken care of, I have to be part doctor. Or at least find a way of getting answers. I concluded that my dad developed hives and angioedema from the spider bite. Hives usually itch, but they may also burn or sting. They can show up anywhere on your body, including the face, lips, tongue, throat, and ears. They range in size from a pencil eraser to a dinner plate and may join together to form larger areas known as plaques. They can last for hours, weeks, or even years. My dad has a huge welt or plaque above both of his eye brows. 

Angioedema is different. The swelling happens under the skin, not on the surface. It’s marked by deep swelling around the eyes and lips and sometimes of the genitals, hands, and feet. It generally lasts longer than hives. It basically looks like he has two sacs filled with fluid under his lower eye lashes. 

Allergic reactions, chemicals in foods, insect stings, sunlight, and medicines can make your body release a chemical called histamine. Histamine sometimes make blood plasma leak out of small blood vessels in the skin, causing hives or angioedema.

As of last night, my dad has been on oral Benadryl. It makes him VERY tired, sleepy, and out of it. But I feel it is necessary to bring down the swelling and redness in his face. This morning, I sent his doctor a text message. I gave him six hours to respond and then I picked up the phone and called him. He was driving for six hours, which was his explanation for not calling me back. In any case, he feels I am doing all the right things and I should monitor my dad for fever or worsening of symptoms, which may require antibiotics due to infection. 

While managing this, I also took my mom to a craft fair and farmer's market today. I left my dad home with Peter. Naturally he slept the entire time I was away. It was a rainy and damp day, but in comparison to our Florida friends, we have nothing to complain about. I then took about two hours or so to focus on a power point presentation I am trying to develop for a webinar this month. It is coming along VERY slowly. I chalk it up to be exhausted, but I try to push ahead since it is due on Wednesday. 

No comments: