Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

October 3, 2022

Monday, October 3, 2022

Monday, October 3, 2022

Tonight's picture was taken in October of 2004. Mattie was two years old and we started taking him that year to Fall festivals. This particular event had a petting zoo and lots of hands on activities for children. Mattie had the opportunity to touch goats, sheep, and pigs. As you can see Mattie was tentative about the whole thing, but was definitely intrigued. 


Quote of the day: I think one’s feelings waste themselves in words; they ought all to be distilled into actions which bring results. ~ Florence Nightingale


This was my dad's back in March of 2022. He was hospitalized for a pacemaker insertion and during his week long hospital stay, nurses put pressure sore pads on his body, to prevent skin ulcers. Ironically he did not get an ulcer, but his skin reacted to the adhesive from the pads. My dad was a mess and needed to go on steroids for another week in the hospital. 

Moving forward to today! On Tuesday, my dad got an insect bite while in the house. I honestly do not know what bite him. But I remember seeing a bite with a red dot in its center, right above his left eye brow. Within hours the bite turned into the size on a chicken egg. Since Tuesday, I have been dealing with a massive break out of hives and edema. His face is so filled with fluid, it is distorted and he hardly can see out of his eyes. Last night, I noticed the hives spread to his tummy and legs. 

When I got up this morning, I called the doctor's office and made an appointment for the afternoon. I had to do this, since my mom had a morning doctor's appointment. I give myself a gold star for taking my dad in. 

I felt the Benadryl wasn't cutting it and apparently I was right. I think we were hours away from anaphylaxis in which the immune system releases a flood of chemicals that can cause you to go into shock. Though my dad's blood pressure, pulse, and oxygen levels were all normal, his lips started to swell this evening, making it hard to swallow. 

My dad was prescribed prednisone (steroids) and we now have an EpiPen for him. Epinephrine auto-injectors are devices that contain epinephrine. This medicine is used to treat severe allergic reactions called anaphylaxis. It was explained to me today that with each severe allergic reaction my dad gets, the body remembers it. Therefore the next time he gets a bite, he may react even worse than this! Can you imagine an immune system has a memory? That is what I am dealing with here. Next time I have been told to prepare for an even more severe reaction that could impact my dad's breathing and therefore I need to have an EpiPen at home and in the car. Which I now have!  

This evening, as frazzled as I am, I came home to my mom wanting to pay bills. With her, everything is a crisis and MUST be dealt with immediately. I spent another hour on her needs and finally got a chance to go through my own emails. I am SO behind on everything. Some times I want to scream and other times I have just resolved that this is my life. 

No comments: