Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

October 4, 2022

Tuesday, October 4, 2022

Tuesday, October 4, 2022 -- Mattie died 679 weeks ago today. 

Tonight's picture was taken in October of 2004. Mattie was two and half years old and this was his first Fall Festival. Mattie was intrigued and yet scared by the large hay slides. If I were him at that age, I would not have even ventured near those slides. But Mattie was much more adventuresome than me. He agreed to try it sitting on Peter's lap. That was how he went down the slide that year. In subsequent years, he did go down on his own and loved it. I of course was the family photographer, since I did not like rides or fast motion, it made sense that I stayed on the ground to capture the memories. I am so glad that I did!



Quote of the day: There is no grief like the grief that does not speak.Henry Wadsworth Longfellow


Thank goodness for steroids. I am not sure how I would have managed my dad's allergic reaction without them. We have been struggling with him for a week, thanks to some bug bite that he got inside the house. His face, eyes, hands and body began to swell and last night, he looked like someone punched him in the face. By this morning, the swelling greatly improved and I am hoping in time, he stops scratching. As he gets fixated on scratching and most times lands up breaking skin and bleeding. Which of course is a whole other problem. 

My dad had physical therapy at the hospital this morning. But before I left the house I wanted to make homemade tomato soup and blackberry vinaigrette for Peter's parents, who are visiting on Thursday through Sunday. I honestly have NO IDEA how this visit will go. Needless to say, I am concerned because no one is as active as they used to be and that is a lot of days to just be sitting around looking at each other. 

Thanks to the steroids, my dad actually has more energy than usual, and had a very rigorous physical therapy session. I really love his therapist and I particularly love how inclusive she is of me in the sessions. Unlike my mom's therapist. My dad's therapist respects the fact that I am managing all of his care and therefore my observations and input are crucial. Any case, my dad is making some strides and she believes she can reassess him on Thursday, to qualify him for more therapy! Which is outstanding news!

After therapy, I took my parents out to eat. When I got home, I worked with Peter to make up beds for Peter's parents and get their space ready for Thursday. When I tell you I am doing non-stop caregiving work and constantly meeting someone's demands throughout the day, I am not kidding. 

No comments: