Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

October 8, 2022

Saturday, October 8, 2022

Saturday, October 8, 2022

Tonight's picture was taken in October of 2003. Mattie was a year and a half old and I captured Mattie in motion. Mattie was the ultimate multi-tasker. I had a Baby Einstein video playing, but Mattie never really watched anything completely. He was always doing something. In this particular case, he was taking out every video cassette in the TV cabinet and then began to stack and organize them. Sometimes he just made me laugh. For Mattie some of the best toys were found or every day objects. 




Quote of the day: I love you every day. And now I will miss you every day. ~ Mitch Albom


Peter snapped this photo of us at the kitchen table on Friday night. Peter's parents have visited with us since Thursday. I have tried to cook nice dinners each night. Last night's meal was grilled flank steak, ginger carrots, and string beans with lemon and mint. 

Though both sets of parents have slowed down significantly, I am trying to plan things while we are altogether, just to have diversions and get out of the house. Today we went to the Farmer's Market and the garden center. I wanted to introduce my in-laws to the farmers we interact with each week. I am not sure they enjoyed the experience as much as me. 

By the time I got home and put away the market stuff, we decided to leave my mom, dad, and Peter's dad at home, while the rest of us went to the garden center. My parents were out cold while we were gone, and I knew they couldn't handle another outing before dinner. They require a lot of down time and sleep throughout the day. 

At the garden center, I wanted to buy small pumpkins for the front of our house and a mum and three pumpkins for my neighbor. My neighbor turned 80 and I wanted them to know that we do appreciate them! 

This evening, we took everyone out to Clyde's for dinner. I thought this would be special, as we wanted to introduce Peter's parents to Cheryl, one of our favorite servers. When we sat down, Cheryl told me that the manager wanted us to vacate the table by 6pm, because they were having a homecoming party who  needed the space. Naturally if you know me, you will know this did not sit well! I asked Cheryl to send the manager over. This is a place we frequent once or twice a week. As a regular, I expect better treatment! The manager came over and started quoting me standard operating procedures. I told him that I hear him, but that there needs to be some accommodations or leeway for regular customers. We should take priority over the once a year homecoming students! He got me, and a few minutes later came back and told me he worked it out and we could stay for as long as we wanted. Cheryl couldn't believe I was able to get that accomplished!

When I got home from dinner, I was a little upset about a few things. I spent a few minutes in our bedroom, and Miss Indie came to join me. 
I end tonight's posting with a photo of Mattie Moon over GW Bridge in New York. A friend sent me this photo and I must say it came at a very good time! 


No comments: