Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

December 23, 2022

Friday, December 23, 2022

Friday, December 23, 2022

Tonight's picture was taken in December of 2006. Mattie was four and half years old and Peter got both of them matching Santa hats. I thought this was priceless and I am so happy I snapped this photo of the boys in front of our tree. Together we collected many sentimental ornaments over the years and now that we are decorating again, it brings back memories to see these special baubles. Ironically I still have this SAME star on our tree and the funny part about this is I bought this star in Neiman Marcus. This is a store I NEVER shop at, I only like their cafĂ©. But back then I wanted to find a replacement star and when I saw this, I immediately bought it. If I were to buy it today in Neiman Marcus, I am quite certain it would be hundreds of dollars, and I wouldn't be purchasing it. 


Quote of the day: To make a difference in someone’s life you don’t have to be brilliant, rich, beautiful, or perfect. You just have to care. ~ Mandy Hale


Miss Indie received a Christmas gift from our friends today! Indie immediately started playing with it! I am so happy that Indie and Sunny received gifts, because I am truly saddened I couldn't get them stockings filled with gifts this year. 

Meanwhile, my dad went to his memory care center today and my hope was I could get some things accomplished. An hour after he got there, I received a call telling me the center was closing early because of the weather. So Peter went right back to pick him up. 

Peter also took Sunny to the vet today for his follow up bloodwork! The good news is Sunny is holding steady with weight and his blood work results look good. So we continue on this chemo in hopes that when he gets scanned in a few weeks, we find that the meds are holding back the cancer. 

Later today, I drove to Maryland, and took my parents out for an early dinner. This cute elf is Dawn. Dawn is one of our favorite servers. We have followed her from Reston, VA to Rockville, MD. It is a hike to drive to Rockville, and some days it can take me over an hour each way. But its the special service and connection we have with her that makes the trip worth it. She is excellent mental stimulation for my dad. 

Tonight Dawn was participating in the restaurant's ugly sweater contest. She actually won the contest, but frankly I loved this sweater. It wasn't ugly to me. I particularly loved how Dawn jingled when she walked. 

Dawn and my dad!
It was 12 degrees tonight. My mom typically orders ice cream for dessert, but today she ordered hot chocolate and Christmas cookies. The hot chocolate was made with real melted chocolate and homemade marshmallows. 
I had a Santa cupcake. The pastry chef at Clyde's at Tower Oaks is phenomenal. I haven't had one bad item she has created. Doesn't seeing this inspire you to get out a piping icing bag?! 


No comments: