Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

December 18, 2022

Sunday, December 18, 2022

Sunday, December 18, 2022

Tonight's picture was taken in December of 2002. It was Mattie's first Christmas and as you can see, we had a lot going on in our living room. Stacks of Mattie's books, his entertainment saucer, activity walker, and toys filled our home. Do you see Patches, our calico cat? She was never far from the action and she instinctually understood that she had to behave around Mattie. 

Quote of the day: Start by doing what’s necessary; then do what’s possible, and suddenly you are doing the impossible. ~ Francis of Assisi


Don't ask what I did today. It seems like a blur. I am sure many people can relate to this feeling at this time of year. You don't know what you are doing first and yet the holidays are vast approaching. They are coming whether we are ready for them or not. It is hard to believe that my intense caregiving role has been going on for a year now. 

I would say that my parents were resting more than awake today. My mom seemed exhausted all day and I suspect it was because she had no down time during the day yesterday. Any case, while they were sleeping, I was doing Foundation work, Christmas dinner planning, and all sorts of chores. 

Later today, we took my parents out to dinner. We go to the same restaurant every Sunday. I am telling you that the servers who work with us have become an extended part of our family, and a crucial part of my social circle. Without them, I truly would have little to no rational conversation all week long. 

Today we exchanged gifts with Cheryl, our server. So if you are keeping track, yesterday Dawn, one of our favorite servers, comped our entire dinner and tonight, Cheryl brought each of us a Christmas present. Literally at our table, it was like Christmas morning. This is how special these women are! 

Cheryl gave me several gifts, but three of them are now on our tree. Do you see the "peace" ornaments? One in red and white. Both from Cheryl. 

The peace ornament in white. This year, I added a clip on cardinal to the tree. Symbolic of Mattie. 



















Cheryl also gave me this butterfly ornament that is hand made out of tin. She knows that butterflies are important to me. Do you see the little elf with a Santa hat near the butterfly? Mattie made this elf while he was in the hospital and I just found it this year. 



No comments: