Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

December 24, 2022

Saturday, December 24, 2022

Saturday, December 24, 2022

Tonight's picture was taken in December of 2008. Mattie was home from the hospital and at that point, we had a hospital bed in our living room. Life was beyond chaotic, Mattie was in a great deal of pain, and suffering from depression, anxiety, and medical traumatic stress. Ironically, one would think we'd want to be home for the holidays, but what Peter and I quickly learned was that being home was NO PICNIC. It was very challenging, stressful, and we missed our medical family. We never felt isolated when they were around. Mattie felt miserable and it was heartbreaking not knowing how to make things better. That day, Mattie's friends dropped off these cute Rudolph the Reindeer noses and hats. These things provided moments of happiness and laughter. Gifts like these were much more than tangible things. They helped to achieve the impossible...... a distraction from cancer and the ravages it produced. 


Quote of the day: A tree is known by its fruit; a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost; he who sows courtesy reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love. Saint Basil


Peter and I have invited some friends over for Christmas tomorrow. These friends were with us last year and are well aware of our situation. One couple is my friend in cancer, as she has lost her only child to cancer as well. The other couple are friends of Peter's from work. They have a 6 year old, who is our God daughter. We used to see them more frequently, but I am happy I can at least make Christmas work. 

To cook a meal for 9 people, I started prepping on Thursday. Each day I made something. Thursday was a mashed potato with two types of cheese and chives and I also made cranberry sauce, Friday, was stuffing, which is made with sour dough bread crumbs, cherries, apples, onions, celery, and parsley. Today, I cleaned and marinaded the turkey and then Peter and I worked on making a red velvet cake. 

The red velvet batter. Ironically I find cakes the easiest part of the meal to make. Last year I made a coconut layer cake. I wanted to do something different this year. 
My dad's friends called last night and today. I wish I could say he was engaged and perked up, but unfortunately not much reaches him from a socialization stand point anymore. It is quite sad, and I can't let it get to me, because then I wouldn't function. 

We took my parents to the Clyde's in Rockville. Our favorite server, Dawn, is there and it is worth the car ride. 


Dawn brought us this beautiful Christmas floral arrangement on a sleigh. I absolutely love it! 
Our table is set and ready for tomorrow (the napkins were my maternal grandmother's!). My lifetime friend, Karen, mentioned that she doesn't know how I do all of this! I truly appreciated her acknowledgment of this because truly nothing is easy. The day to day grind, lack of freedom, and non-stop chores can take away any joy, happiness, and definitely impacts my whole outlook on life. Now tomorrow's test is balancing cooking, serving, company, and my parents. 





No comments: