Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

April 20, 2023

Thursday, April 20, 2023

Thursday, April 20, 2023

Tonight's picture was taken in April of 2009. That day, we went outside from the second floor of the hospital. Out there was a rose garden and other outdoor spaces to escape the day to day stresses of living in an institution. Within this space was an art therapy statue of an elephant. Tile creations were glued to the elephant on a rotating basis. Mattie's nurse, Kathleen, created the 'curious George' tile (that you see here) in Mattie's honor! Mattie's left leg/foot was the only limb untouched by surgery. Therefore, Mattie used that appendage almost like an arm and hand! That left leg/foot got nicknamed, Curious George. Mattie loved that his name sake made it on the elephant!


Quote of the day: The words of kindness are more healing to a drooping heart than balm or honey. ~ Sarah Fielding


I took my parents out to lunch today! We go to the SAME place every Thursday, and have a regular server at this particular restaurant who takes care of us. Needless to say, my family has been going to this restaurant even before Mattie was born! Then when Mattie came into our lives, it turned out that this restaurant was so close geographically to his preschool and elementary school, that it became one of his favorite hang outs. If it is possible for the TV show, Cheers to exist, then this restaurant is my Cheers. We know all the managers, most of the hosts, and a good bunch of the servers. 

This afternoon, while packing up my dad's tote bag, to leave the restaurant, one of the managers came over. We talk with him often! He told my mom that he has been working in the restaurant industry for 35 years. In that time, he has seen ALL sorts of families! However, in all his years he has NEVER seen anyone like ME! He asked my parents whether they knew how lucky they were to have me in their lives. The manager said that I am an angel, who is going straight to heaven. He doesn't know another adult child who takes on what I do, and I always am polite and kind to those around me. He also said I never look like a mess or seem exhausted. FUNNY!

In any case, Lou's words and feedback today meant the WORLD to me! Like tonight's quote points out, words of kindness are indeed healing to a drooping heart! It always amazes me who is absorbing and observing what I do. I remember this happening on many Princess Cruises I took with my parents. Typically on the last few days of one of our cruises, passengers would come up to me and commend me for what I was doing for my parents. Again, I was just being me and going about my own business. I do not do what I do for accolades, but I must say, when strangers take notice and comment to me, it perks me up. It perks me up because what I endure each day is not for the meek and it is very easy for me to get down on myself and my existence. 

No comments: