Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

April 6, 2023

Thursday, April 6, 2023

Thursday, April 6, 2023 

Tonight's picture was taken in April of 2006. Mattie was celebrating his fourth birthday. That was the first year we did not host a party at home. Instead, we chose Riverbend Nature Center. The kids had a wonderful time going on a nature walk with a naturalist, doing a dig in the sandbox for plastic dinosaurs, and having a meet and greet with various animals like turtles and snakes. Peter snapped this photo of us as I was encouraging Mattie to blow out the candles. 





Quote of the day: We do not "get over" a death. We learn to carry the grief and integrate the loss in our lives. In our hearts, we carry those who have died. We grieve and we love. We remember. ~ Nathalie Himmelrich


The past two days it has been over 80 degrees in Northern Virginia. The humidity is back in full force and it feels more like summer than spring. But I have refused to turn on the air conditioning. Instead, I had the windows open. However, when I woke up this morning, I literally felt like I couldn't move and could pass out from the heat. Thankfully Peter insisted on turning on the air conditioning and within ten minutes I felt like I could get myself together to face another day. 

My lifetime friend Karen jokes with me. She says I should record what I do in any given day, probably because my schedule is impossible on a good day. Yet I have done this day in and day out since November of 2021! I admit there are times that I am so overwhelmed and tired, that I get snappy. As I would love to be able to take a break, go on a trip, or even have a conversation with someone without worrying about bathroom runs and other needs!

It was another day of chaos here. We had the plumber, the exterminator, the landscaper, and my dad's physical therapist here. All at the same time, naturally. How I think I can get anything done, is a riot, and you think by now I would accept this fact. But I am persistent and while all of these people were here, I was sending emails to companies, asking for sponsorships for the Walk. Asking for money is not something I was trained to do and it doesn't come naturally to me. However, I had to move passed my comfort zone in order to raise money for our cause. I have learned so much about non-profit work and myself over these last 14 years. Of course my driving force is and will always be Mattie. So not unlike an aggressive mom caring and protecting her small child, I provide the same level of focus, attention, and thoughtful advocacy toward Mattie's Foundation, my second baby!

Peter snapped some beautiful photos today! This is Sunny at daybreak!
The sun rising in our backyard. 
We have a cherry tree in our front yard. I have a love hate relationship with it. I think they are stunning and glorious while flowering on the tree, but as the blossoms start falling, it is like pink dirty snow everywhere. These pink flowers stick on shoes and we drag them all over the house. 


No comments: