Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

June 11, 2023

Sunday, June 11, 2023

Sunday, June 11, 2023

Tonight's picture was taken in June of 2003. Mattie was a year old and that day we took him to the Reston Zoo. This is a much smaller and hands on experience for young children. We got the chance to have an up close and personal meeting with several goats. At first Mattie wasn't sure if he wanted to pet the goat or run away. In any case, at the end of the day, Mattie was fascinated by farm animals and loved watching, petting, and feeding them. 


Quote of the day: In any new situation, you will be viewed in one of three ways. As a minus one: actively harmful, someone who creates problems. As a zero: your impact is neutral and doesn’t tip the balance one way or the other. Or as a plus one: someone who actively adds value. ~ Chris Hadfield, astronaut


Peter travels to Philadelphia tomorrow for a few days. He is very busy with work and of course I am very busy with my parents. It is very easy in my house to feel overwhelmed, under valued, and disconnected. After all when caregiving throughout the day, it doesn't leave much time to be a person, much less a person who used to interact with the outside world. Each day for me is just like the day before. The weekends are no better. 

My dad has this preoccupation with going out to eat. When I wake him in the morning, it is the first question out of his mouth.... are we going out to eat!? I have come to accept the question for what it is, his form of conversation. As whether he eats at home or goes out to eat, what I have noticed is that his appetite is rather poor. He seems exhausted and after eating a little, will say that he is full. In fact, I now have to pick out my dad's foods for him, because he no longer knows what he likes to eat or can physically chew and eat. While eating out, my dad truly has no patience for conversations with our servers, and he will interrupt conversation to ask for straws and other items. Of course talking to servers is an outlet for me! It enables me to engage with others who live a life without the impact of Alzheimer's disease. At the end of the day though, I don't know why my dad likes going out to eat! I knew at one time! He used to love food, enjoyed eating, loved to order different things, and enjoyed the experience of being out and about. Now none of these things are applicable to his life. 

Typically on the weekends, Peter joins us as we go out to eat. This certainly helps to have another pair of hands and someone else to help provide conversation. Otherwise, it's all me! This morning, Peter told me he couldn't join us because he had to work on his presentations for meetings this week. Understandable and I can appreciate the stress he is under and yet a part of me was disappointed and upset. It is easy for me to get upset and angry about my situation and then it is hard for me to reset my mood. But I eventually do, because what are my options? I am sure my feelings are not unique to me, but more universal to all caregivers. Nonetheless at the end of the day, this blog has been my outlet to share thoughts and feelings since July of 2008. A long time, and a long journey being a caregiver (caregiver of Mattie, caregiver of Mattie's legacy, caregiver of Mattie Miracle, and the caregiver to my parents). 

No comments: