Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

June 17, 2023

Saturday, June 17, 2023

Saturday, June 17, 2023

Tonight's picture was taken in June of 2002. Mattie was two months old. We were sitting outside on our deck in Washington, DC and I snapped a photo of my two boys. I love the facial expressions on both Peter and Mattie. Peter looked happy and in love with the bundle he was holding and Mattie looked focused and in deep concentration. 


Quote of the day: The human capacity for burden is like bamboo - far more flexible than you'd ever believe at first glance. ~ Jodi Picoult


My friend Mary Ann forwarded me this photo last night. It is something I took in June of 2016. My life seemed quite different back then. I was living in Washington, DC and I snapped a photo of hydrangeas sitting in front of my picture window. I referred to this space in my townhouse as my room with a view. I will never forget the beauty of that big window and all the sights and sounds from the city we used to observe from our advantage point. 

I am so glad that Mary Ann sent me this photo because it reminded me of times I spent with my friends, the beauty of our city garden that we created each spring, and what it also helped me see is that I worked hard to find my way out of great devastation from losing Mattie. It took great strength, courage, and determination to want to survive and to get to where I was in 2016.... which was a more stable place than when Mattie died in 2009. 

In a way, the photo instills hope. Because I would say I am once again facing a difficult crossroads in my life. Caring for two parents with dementia takes on a life of its own, it consumes me, my energy, my focus, and there are consequences both short and long term on my life and my relationships. I am well aware of things falling apart all around me, and this photo helps to remind me that I do have what it takes to find my way through this too. 

Peter did more planting today! I love this sunflower clay pot, and the sunny flowers inside of it. 
This pot had pansies in it! Pansies are wonderful in the fall and early spring, but they don't like warmer weather! So in their place, Peter planted this. 
Of course no day would be complete without a Mattie sighting!
These flower boxes also had pansies in them! Out went the pansies, and in came these wonderful pops of color. 

No comments: