Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

June 13, 2023

Tuesday, June 13, 2023

Tuesday, June 13, 2023 -Mattie died 715 weeks ago today. 

Tonight's picture was taken in June of 2003. Mattie was a year old and though he wasn't walking yet, he was constantly on the go! He was a super multi-tasker. He loved his baskets filled with books. He literally would take every book out, flip through the pages, stack them, and used them like building blocks. Truly unforgettable!

Quote of the day: Make each day your masterpiece. ~ John Wooden


This morning, after my usual morning routine, I decided to bake banana chocolate chip bread for my mom's physical therapist. I absolutely love her therapist and she has been working with both of my parents since June of 2022. She has become an integral part of our lives and like me, she enjoys to eat. 

It was a busy day of chores, followed by taking my parents to the eye care store, so we could order a new pair of glasses for my dad. From there, I took them out for frozen yogurt. 

When I got home, I had to water the plants in our backyard. I had left my dad in his recliner, and I thought all of his needs were met. Forget it! In between watering, I came back inside and saw that my dad wasn't in his recliner. So I ran to the first floor bathroom, and there he was again. The sight wasn't pleasant, as he had pooped on himself, the floor, and his clothes. He did not know what to do, so he was in the process of spreading it around and making a mess. I honestly can't leave him alone for a second! My mom was upstairs and apparently did not or wasn't listening for my dad's movements. Needless to say, I dropped everything I was doing, ran for the garbage can, a pair of gloves, a change of clothing, and cleaning products. If this only happened once today that would be more than enough, but I had this production four times today alone. 

But as tonight's quote points out, today may have been my masterpiece. In between caregiving tasks, I still run Mattie's Foundation. This week, I received a request from a social worker in Kansas. One of her patients is at the end of her journey, no treatment is working, and the family is facing end of life care. This patient wants a last wish..... to visit New York City. Typically our grants are up to $1,000, but given the circumstances and the cost of traveling to NYC, we are awarding this patient $2,500. Many non-profits wouldn't grant this patient a wish, primarily because she was going to die. Not only does Mattie Miracle understand the importance of a last wish, we also turn around a funding decision and provide the actual funds in a very timely manner. As of this Thursday, a check will be on its way to this patient. Here is the note I received from the patient's mom tonight:

'From a mother to a mother...I am so sorry for your loss. Losing a child or knowing you can not do anything more to help your child is beyond what I could ever imagine feeling. 

Thank you for taking the time to respond and granting this wish for my daughter. This is a blessing for her and will fulfill her last wish. 

May God Bless You with plentiful blessings to enable you to continue helping others.'

Meanwhile Peter sent me this photo from Philadelphia tonight. He had a very good first day of meetings! As you can see, he is surrounded by women. This is a first for Peter, but he is enjoying this change! As I joke with him often, if he can deal with me, he can communicate and work with any woman!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good like 👍 to see you before I leve you ok greg Larry ok