Mattie Miracle 15th Anniversary Video

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

July 3, 2024

Wednesday, July 3, 2024

Wednesday, July 3, 2024

Tonight's picture was taken in July of 2005. Mattie was three years old and that week we took Mattie to the Outer Banks of North Carolina. We were there during the fourth of July, which was very festive. As you can see Mattie was having a great time... smiling, laughing, exploring, and enjoying family time. 


Quote of the day: The saddest thing is to be a minute to someone when you’ve made them your eternity. ~ Sanober Kahn


Today was another horrible day, on top of months of horror. I truly thought I would have a moment of peace this morning. No such luck. I received bills I wasn't expecting in my email box, and that sent me for a tail spin. I feel like my life is one crisis after the other. Each day I wake up wondering when the next shoe will drop. I have gone from not managing the finances all my adult life, to managing mine, my parent's and Mattie Miracle's. Just the accounting alone is daunting, but then factor in caregiving for two people who are challenging and have huge and different needs, and then of course the biggest heartache of all, Peter leaving me. His leaving defies understanding and for those of you who do not know the story, I assure you it isn't simple. I will leave it at that, but I am left feeling abandoned, alone, and managing the impossible. 

This evening, I had my therapy session. I told the therapist I am taking a two week break from her later in the month. As sessions go, it was fine, but when I let me guard down and focus on Peter's abandonment, out come the tears. I can't imagine moving forward, because to me it is filled with loneliness, uncertainty, and it is very hard to lose yet another part of myself. I lost Mattie, which I will never get over, and now Peter. I am done and tired! The therapist ended the session with.... May you be safe. May you be free from inner and outer harm. Normally her trite statements annoy me, but this one struck me. Because I experience a lot of outer harm, but how this harm is being absorbed internally, impacts my emotions and spirit. So her inner and outer acknowledgment resonated with me. 

When I got home from therapy, I served dinner. It was at that point my mom went on a tirade. I get it daily in some way or another. She feels her life is miserable, she lived too long, I married the wrong person, he destroyed our lives, and the litany went on. She then complained how tired she is, and with that, I lost it. I keep it together day in and out listening to her, but tonight my cup was full. She has no appreciation for how tired I am, she has no appreciation that she has a daughter who has dropped EVERYTHING in her life to care for her parents, and she has no understanding for the emotional pain I have from losing my husband. A person I considered my other half. Losing Peter means losing a part of myself. My mom's tirade ruined dinner and I dropped everything, once I got my dad settled, to pay her bills (another fixation!). So tonight I am raw and worn out on every level. 

Meanwhile, this was me and Peter on July 4, 2023. I had no notion that he was planning on leaving me. In my mind whatever we endured in life, we would face it together. 


I am sure there are things to be grateful for, but tonight I am in mood to explore them. 

No comments: