A Remembrance Video of Mattie

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to me that you take the time to write and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful and help support me through very challenging times. I am forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically have stopped writing on September 9, 2010. However, like my journey with grief there is so much that still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with me, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki



August 1, 2026

Saturday, August 1, 2026

Saturday, August 1, 2026

Tonight's picture was taken in August of 2002. Mattie was four months old and we were beginning to introduce him to rice cereal. Mattie took to it like a duck to water. Mattie did not like sitting in a high chair, so initially I was feeding him either on the couch with pillows all around him or in his car seat (the only seat he LOVED!). It will always be hard for me to understand how a healthy baby could get cancer and then died. Mattie was taken too soon and I believe my life would be so much better if he was alive today. 


Quote of the day: My life is a perfect graveyard of buried hopes. ~ L.M. Montgomery


The other day I was visiting my neighbor. She could see that my skin was bright red. My skin looks burned, like sunburned. Yet I do not have a sunburn. I explained to my neighbor that I think I may have a sun rash. I explained to her that I put on sunscreen with a high SPF (100 to be specific). It is the same sunscreen brand I have used for years, but it is the first time I am using such a high SPF. My neighbor said that she thought I had hives from the sunscreen and not a sun rash. 

I have been reflecting on what Judi, my neighbor, said to me. Mainly because I have been outside by the pool only twice this summer with friends. Each time, I put on that sunscreen, about a day later I am covered in hives. Not just big blots, but they are warm to the touch and VERY, VERY itchy. I figured it was a sun sensitivity, but the more I think about what Judi said, I believe she was correct. I have been outside all summer gardening and have never experienced a sun rash. But when I garden I do not wear sunscreen. 

I am so uncomfortable right now as it takes great discipline not to scratch my skin. I have resorted to taking Zyrtec, using ice packs, and topical Benadryl. The first time this happened to me this summer, it took two weeks for the hives to disappear. So I have a way to go toward recovery this time. Needless to say, I am throwing out this sunscreen and going back to a lower SPF. 

It turns out that the higher SPF sunscreens have more chemicals in them that guard against the sun's UV light but can irritate the immune system. Apparently around 1% or less of the population can have sunscreen allergies like mine. Since a sun rash and sunscreen allergies can look similar, I kept reading up on this and clearly if the hives are where you placed the lotion then it is likely the sunscreen. If the rash is on sun-exposed areas where you missed applying lotion then it is likely a sun rash. Therefore, Judi nailed it, I have a sunscreen allergy.

If you are like me, then I have learned it is important to look for sunscreens that say hypoallergenic, fragrance free, and the primary active ingredient should be zinc oxide. I am hoping never to experience this sunscreen allergy again because I am physically miserable. 

No comments: