A Remembrance Video of Mattie

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to me that you take the time to write and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful and help support me through very challenging times. I am forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically have stopped writing on September 9, 2010. However, like my journey with grief there is so much that still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with me, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki



August 19, 2026

Wednesday, August 19, 2026

Wednesday, August 19, 2026

Tonight's picture was taken in August of 2007. I remember taking this photo as if it were yesterday. We were at Griffith Park in Los Angeles. The Park truly had something for everyone! But I have to admit, it catered to little ones beautifully! Mattie loved this miniature train ride that went around the a portion of the park. At different times of the year, the train passed seasonal themed decorations. Though Griffith Park was minutes from my parent's house, I never visited it as a teenager while living in California. It took Mattie in our lives to branch out and experience this wonderful place. Mattie brought a whole new world to all of us. 


Quote of the day: Do you see your divorce as a set-back or a do-over? It took time and effort, but I now see mine as a do-over. ~ Karen Finn


I came across tonight's quote, and like so many quotes on divorce, I DON'T relate to them. NOT one bit. Divorce, after a 35 year relationship, is not a set back and it certainly isn't a do-over. It is a crisis of grant proportion!!! Not calling it out for what it is, negates my experience, my long term commitment to my other half, our life together, and the impact of the divorce on my current life and future. All I can say is DEAR GOD, I would NOT want a do-over of what I am currently feeling! NO THANK YOU. Surviving this once, is once too much. 

I had hopes today that after I dropped my dad off at his memory care center, I would have time to do more continuing education for my licensure renewal. NOPE! My doorbell rang and it was Dale, the fellow coming to treat my yard again for mosquitoes. This year is so bad that whenever I open the door, several mosquitoes fly in! I have been killing them daily, but unfortunately not before they bite my parents. I walked around the house with Dale and showed him what I wanted him to do and to particularly concentrate on the door areas. 

While I was working with Dale, my landscaper, Ritchie showed up. I emailed Ritchie last night because while walking around the house (which I do on a regular basis), I noticed this puddling of rain water and the pipe was disconnected. I tried to reconnect it, but stopped because I deduced..... something maybe wrong to cause the pipe to pop apart! 

Ritchie and I discussed this and he is sending a team out to blow out the pipe to see if air and water get through to the drain (by the curb). If nothing passes through, then I have a blockage, which means digging up the front grass and fixing the pipe blockage. Ritchie knows me by now, and understands messing up with my garden aesthetics makes me edgy. He assures me because the grass is in such good shape, that they can cut a line in the grass, peel it back and when the work is done, they can put the grass back in place. I then discussed my crabgrass issue. Typically I do not have this in the front yard, but it is lining the front yard by the curb. Ritchie answered the question immediately. He showed me the neighbor's grass, who has crabgrass all over the place. Apparently dormant weed seeds in the top soil or rogue crop seeds in the grass seeds itself spread in the wind, and now I have this gift from my neighbor. 

Ritchie knows I love pulling weeds! It is my therapy. I told him I was going to literally pull on the grass! He told me to wait, as his team is coming out to do weed spot checks in a week. I have been working with Ritchie for five years. He has observed me going through my separation and now my divorce. His comment to me today, was I look great! He did not mean this in any other way, than he sees that I am trying to stabilize and get my life together. I am not sure if this is true for every home owner, but I make it my point to get to know each service provider personally. I know about their marriages, who they date, their children, and the list goes on! Ironically, I can't tell you how many service providers thank me for listening, for showing interesting, and giving them a safe place to vent. I don't view what I am doing as anything special, other than being human and to me the greatest gift people can give each other is time, understanding, and compassion.   

No comments: