A Remembrance Video of Mattie

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to me that you take the time to write and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful and help support me through very challenging times. I am forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically have stopped writing on September 9, 2010. However, like my journey with grief there is so much that still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with me, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki



September 25, 2026

Friday, September 25, 2026

Friday, September 25, 2026

Tonight's picture was taken in September of 2005. Mattie was three years old and that weekend, we drove to a peach farm. This was my very first time picking peaches. Farmer Brown, one of my many nicknames for Mattie, was in his element. I can't tell you how many peaches we picked that day. We came home and I had to figure out what to do with all of this wonderful fruit. I baked with it, we ate the fruit raw, and I also made countless jars of jam! What a wonderful memory, unfortunately it was our first and last time peach picking together. 




Quote of the day: At any given moment you have the power to say: This is not how the story is going to end. ~ Christine Mason Miller


Each night this week, I could see my hallway was aglow. I looked up and sure enough there was Mattie Moon! Looking right at me. This is one of the many reasons I love this big Palladian window, as I feel I always get signs from my Mattie through it! He never fails to let me know he is watching! 
Meanwhile, this was today's sighting as I was driving down my street! We have a family of deer who visit daily. In fact, I can't tell you how many times I find fawns lying in my front bushes! The first time I saw this happen, I thought the baby was injured. I did not approach the fawn, but instead went inside and Googled this and learned that this is not uncommon. Apparently the mom deemed my home safe for her baby while she was off foraging for food. Needless to say, mom came back for the fawn! 

Meanwhile the Mattie Miracle Item Drive is underway this week. I opened my door, to find these wonderful surprises. I am so grateful for our friends and supporters who keep our five Snack & Item Carts at hospitals rolling. These Cart provide free snacks, candy, and toiletries to families caring for a child with cancer. Our Carts support 2,500 families a year!!! Please check out our Wish List.









No comments: