A Remembrance Video of Mattie

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to me that you take the time to write and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful and help support me through very challenging times. I am forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically have stopped writing on September 9, 2010. However, like my journey with grief there is so much that still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with me, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki



September 22, 2026

Tuesday, September 22, 2026

Tuesday, September 22, 2026 -- Mattie died 864 weeks ago today.

Tonight's picture was taken in September of 2008. Mattie was in his second month of treatment. We were home between hospital visits and as you can see, Mattie was already on IV hydration at home. Sitting with Mattie, was Nurse Patches, our calico cat. Patches was an amazing cat and Mattie grew up with her. Given that we spent most weeks in the hospital, we made the difficult decision to board Patches at our vet. Patches spent over a year living at our vet's office. We elected to do this for her safety, as she needed daily medication and I wanted the peace of mind that she was getting the care she needed while we were fully focused on Mattie. But don't you know that one of Mattie's dying requests was to have Patches visit the hospital. The hospital would not allow this, which to this day, I find very upsetting. Patches would have been in her carrier, she was fully vaccinated, and she wouldn't be walking the hallways. I have no doubt that Mattie and Patches have now found one another. 


Quote of the day: Everyone is replaceable. But loyal people choose to not replace.Garima Soni


Last night, I was making dinner. That horrible 1-800 number popped up on my phone! I thought I got rid of those calls! What am I talking about? I am talking about my mortgage company. I have endured practically daily and weekly calls from this company since May 1! I closed on the mortgage assumption on August 20, and it was my hope I would never see that 1-800 number again! HA, HA, HA!

My escrow agent was calling me to inform me she calculated my escrow shortage incorrectly! Instead, I now owe MUCH, MUCH more money! Seriously as she was talking to me, an immediate migraine ensued. I literally told her to stop talking, because I needed to sit down and get out paper and a pen as she was throwing numbers and data at me. NOT a good plan at 6pm! Any case, I was able to track her and all I can say is thank goodness I received a reimbursement check from my cancelled home owner's insurance policy (that I shared with my other half). Because I will need that money in order to help meet the shortage. 

Next steps is I have to figure out how to pay the rest of the shortage and then I have to call my escrow agent in October, at which point the bank will run another escrow analysis. I have gone from clueless in 2023, to knowing MUCH MORE than I care or want to know! I do not know how I cooked dinner last night, served it, and cleaned up, but I got it done. But I felt overwhelmed and when I feel this way, my natural instinct is to walk and move around. I certainly could do that if I was on my own, but I had two people waiting for dinner. So my angst was put on my mental shelf. 

This morning, I got up at 5:30am, because I had both a plumber and electrician coming over. I had to get up that early because not only do I have to get myself together, but I have to make sure my dad was up, showered, and dressed before anyone came over. I know full well that I can't answer questions and also manage my dad's morning routine at the same time. 

When things arise in the house, I try to address them quickly. Assuming they are not large ticket items. I also have a large ticket item list going, and given the mortgage assumption I have been enduring, NOTHING large is getting addressed. As tonight's quote points out, I happen to be one of these loyal people. Not just in my personal relationships but in all my connections. When we moved into the house in 2021, we worked with Bob (my electrician) and Cody (my plumber) for months! Yes there was a lot wrong with the house, and because we bought the house during COVID, we did not get a house inspection. Once we bought the house, we learned quickly that the whole house needed to be rewirer and there were major plumbing and HVAC issues. When you spend three or more months with contractors, you get to know them well. 

Why am I telling you this? I am telling you this because Cody left the company I have a service membership with, and so today, a different plumber, JR, came over. Cody recommended JR to me. JR was a peach, however, JR was also aware of my connection to Cody. Though I have asked to stay with Cody, and told him I would follow him over to his new company, Cody felt awkward about doing this, and he did not want to pressure me. Today, JR spoke in a language I understood. He basically told me that Cody is very fond of me and doesn't want to lose me as a customer. So clearly Cody and I were talking passed each other and though I thought I was making myself clear to him in text messages, today I spelled it out for him. Understand that Cody knows about Mattie, he knew my other half and everything that transpired, and he even asked his company to help fundraise for the Foundation. When Cody's son got sick, I provided insights and emotional support, and when Cody found out about my separation, he and his wife sent me flowers. So you are getting the picture. 

JR helped me today, fixed my dad's toilet, and he even showed me how to take apart a sink drain. Literally I did it while he was talking me through it! YES I like learning and being as independent as possible. So now I have JR's cell number too, in case I should ever need help and I can't get a hold of Cody. I have every cell number of every contractor that works with me, and they know I respect their time and boundaries. But if I have a problem, even at 10pm, I will be texting you. Thankfully they always respond. 

My electrical issue is much more significant. We learned today that the wiring in my kitchen is backward. Positive is negative, and negative is positive and it blew out one of the light switches. So Bob returns tomorrow to continue the work. My joke with Bob is, if it is in this house and he did not correct it in 2021, then you know you will need to correct it now. 

No comments: