Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

March 29, 2021

Monday, March 29, 2021

Monday, March 29, 2021

Tonight's picture was taken on Mattie's birth date...April 4, 2002. We are now seven days from Mattie's 19th birthday, and even though time has passed, I remember this moment in time like it were yesterday. Peter snapped this photo of Mattie in the nursery, right after his birth. I was still in surgery, as the doctor found a big lipoma on my bladder. But I knew Mattie was in good hands and literally the first week of Mattie's birth, Peter landed up taking care of both Mattie and me. 


Quote of the day: Today's coronavirus update from Johns Hopkins.

  • Number of people diagnosed with the virus: 30,321,943
  • Number of people who died from the virus: 549,892

On Sunday, March 28, at 5:15pm, my friend Margy lost her journey with ovarian cancer. Margy was only 69, about to turn 70 on April 13. Margy has been living with cancer for three years, and NEVER went off treatment, as she had a very aggressive form of cancer. In fact, I learned from Margy that you don't even need to have ovaries, to get ovarian cancer. Meaning, she had a hysterectomy years before, pathology was done back then, and no cancer was detected. Years later, she was diagnosed with ovarian cancer, as microscopic disease had spread to her abdomen and lungs.

I have known Margy since 2015, as we became friends on Facebook, thanks to a mutual friend in cancer. Margy devoted her life as a play therapist, helping children with cancer and their families. In addition, she ran a successful childhood cancer non-profit, Growing Hope, for 20 years. Margy and I shared many core values and both of us were deeply feeling people and devoted a good portion of our lives listening and trying to help people. She and I had a mutual appreciation and respect for one another. 

Though Margy did not know Mattie, she honored his memory every holiday by visiting his memorial tree and adding an ornament onto it! I can't tell you how much her kindness meant to me. 

A Margy ornament added to Mattie's tree. Whenever Margy traveled she would look for special ornaments to add to the tree. A true friend! In fact, when Margy first became my friend, she literally read EVERY blog posting I ever wrote. She wanted to know about me and about Mattie. 
Margy helped me yearly with the Foundation's candy drive! She was the lady in red on the right! Margy collected candy for us all over Burke, VA, sorted it and then would deliver it to me!
Margy and her husband Ken (all the way on the left) came to visit our Foundation tent every September on the National Mall's event, Curefest. 
Margy and I found a way to see each other once a month. On that particular day, Margy brought her Mattie ornament to lunch, so she could share it with me before placing it on the tree for Christmas. 
In March of 2017, Mattie Miracle launched a snack and item cart at Children's Hospital at Sinai, in Baltimore. Margy came with me to Baltimore to celebrate the occasion. Margy was pictured here with Dr. Shad. 
Margy and me at Children's Hospital at Sinai. 
Another Vicki and Margy lunch! Margy bought a red heart for Valentine's day for Mattie's tree!
Ken (Margy's husband) snapped a photo of Margy at Mattie's tree. That beautiful red butterfly ornament came from Margy! 
Margy and Ken came to all our Mattie Miracle walks. Margy created a walk team called Team Kimber. Kimber was a pediatric nurse who worked with Margy. Kimber lost her battle with kidney cancer. Each year, Margy honored Kimber's memory and the team was comprised of Kimber's husband, children, and parents. 
Margy walking laps at the Mattie Miracle Walk. 
Margy, Ken, and me at Curefest on the National Mall. Curefest is a national event held every September to raise awareness for childhood cancer. 






This photo was taken in April 2019, to celebrate Margy's birthday. I bought her an ice cream cake, as she and I both loved dessert, especially ice cream. It is hard to believe but by that time, Margy was already a year into her cancer treatment. Though Margy did not feel up to going out, I would try to visit Margy monthly at her home. Up until COVID hit. I regret not being able to see my friend for a year because of this Pandemic and now it is too late. 
That day, I went over to visit Margy. She won our dining around town raffle basket and I decided to hand delivered it to her! 
Ken, Margy's husband, transformed the birthday photo we took together into a placemat. I literally had my own placement at Margy's kitchen table! I was so honored and felt like a part of the family. 
In 2019, Margy and Ken took me out for my birthday. Margy and I always met at the Carlyle Restaurant in Arlington. In fact, we would sit and talk for hours, that through the years we had the opportunity to meet the owner of this restaurant!
This photo was taken in 2019 at Curefest on the National Mall. 
Do you see the pretty seashell around my neck? It is a necklace that Margy brought back for me from the beach. That was Margy, despite managing cancer and all the side effects from treatment, she was always thinking about everyone else. 
A selfie together!
Margy at the Mattie Miracle Walk in 2019. 
I remember this day! Margy was in the hospital and had to get fluid removed from her lungs. I literally was in the room the whole time, while the radiologist did the procedure right in front of me. 
Christmas 2019. This was probably the last time I physically saw Margy in person! 
When I visited Margy, I would bring lunch for all three of us and always some sort of cupcake treat! 
Margy and Ken at my surprise birthday brunch. 
I had the opportunity to meet one of Margy's sister, Nancy. Nancy lives in Arizona, and became a Mattie Miracle supporter, thanks to Margy. 
A selfie! This photo was taken a few months after Margy's diagnosis. 

I am grateful for the six years I knew Margy. It is hard to believe she won't be there on the other end of a text message or email. In fact, if I ever posted something on Facebook, I knew for sure Margy would be one of the first people to comment on it. 

Margy was a one of a kind person and friend, and once again, I find I am forced to navigate the world without someone that I loved. 

1 comment:

Cheryl said...

Margy was a one of my favorite people on your posts. You're right--she always posted something. What a delight she must have been to those around her! I'm so very sorry for your loss of your good friend. Big hug from me.