Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

March 30, 2021

Tuesday, March 30, 2021

Tuesday, March 30, 2021 -- Mattie died 600 weeks ago today.

Tonight's picture was taken in April of 2003, at Mattie's first birthday party! Back then, Mattie wasn't into being around a lot of people, and he most definitely did not like noise. So it was a challenging party for him, in which he and I went upstairs for periodic breaks from comotion. In this photo, Peter was carrying Mattie out on our deck for his birthday cake! 


Quote of the day: Today's coronavirus update from Johns Hopkins.

  • Number of people diagnosed with the virus: 30,389,852
  • Number of people who died from the virus: 550,930

I have lost track of what day number it is for me of dealing with an intense migraine and cluster headache. The cluster headaches are a nightmare. It feels like someone is stabbing you in the eye with a screwdriver. My entire head is sore, it is hard to keep my eyes open, and now the pain is migrating to my jaw. 

I took my parents to Rite Aid today to receive their second dose of the COVID vaccine. My mom was anxious about the side effects and I know my presence here has made it easier for her, because if she gets ill, she won't be able to care for my dad. My dad needs 24/7 support and supervision. I would have to say Rite Aid is wonderful, well run, and the pharmacist remembered them from their first dose. They made it super easy, no lines, no waiting, and no crowds. It was a very positive experience. 

Needless to say, I am giving my parents advil and tylenol, alternating them every two hours. I learned that trick from doctors, and it works. So hopefully they will wake up feeling fine tomorrow. 

Meanwhile, I learned that my friend, Margy, who died on March 28, 2021, chose in lieu of flowers, that donations be made to Mattie Miracle. I am deeply honored and to me this is Margy's last gift to me, and a gift that is meant to send me a personal and heartfelt message! The message being that Margy loved me and admired my commitment to Mattie. Any case, I posted below a snapshot of my communication to Margy's husband, Ken, on Margy's CaringBridge page today. 


Click on the image to enlarge it!






No comments: