Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

August 13, 2022

Saturday, August 13, 2022

Saturday, August 13, 2022

Tonight's picture was taken in August of 2008. It was labor day weekend and our niece and nephews came into town to visit with Mattie. Also that day, several of Peter's friends from his Arthur Andersen days came to visit and brought gifts. Our room was the size of a shoe box, but we all crammed in and people from all of our community truly tried to support us and Mattie. The energy from Team Mattie will never be forgotten. 


Quote of the day: Love and kindness are never wasted. They always make a difference. They bless the one who receives them, and they bless you, the giver. ~ Barbara De Angelis 


Since my parents have moved in with us, I have eaten out much more than I normally do. When it was just Peter and me, perhaps we took out food or ate out once or twice a week. But for the most part I cooked seven days a week. Now going out to eat serves not just a food purpose, but it provides structure, routine, and socialization to our very isolated days. 

Pictured with me is Cheryl. Cheryl has become a part of our weekly routine and in the process we have become friends. This photo was taken the day before my birthday. 

Tomorrow will be my parent's 62nd wedding anniversary. Since it falls on a Sunday, that means we will be seeing Cheryl. As we eat at her restaurant every Sunday. Earlier in the week, I text messaged Cheryl and told her about my parent's anniversary and how Peter and I would like to get flowers and a balloon for the dinner table. 

So I ordered the flower arrangement and balloon this week and used a florist near where Cheryl lives. Cheryl and her son, Corey, picked up the arrangement today and Cheryl will have it on the table for us tomorrow when we arrive. I wanted it to be a surprise for my parents! I should mention that Cheryl volunteered to pick up the flowers, care for them, and bring them to the restaurant. I did not ask her! This speaks to the kind person she is and though I run around town taking my parents to certain restaurants, I do this because of the caliber of people working with us. They have become part of our social network, which to me is crucial in surviving as a caregiver. 

Now you could say..... is that needed or worth it? If it were just my dad, I would say NO. He won't remember the flowers or the meal. But I think my mom still appreciates these niceties and for as long as one of them does, I will do it. 

No comments: