Mattie Miracle 15th Anniversary Video

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

August 23, 2024

Friday, August 23, 2024

Friday, August 23, 2024

Tonight's picture was taken in August of 2008. Mattie had been diagnosed with cancer a week before this photo was taken. Peter, Mattie, our neighbor JP and his dog JJ went for a walk together at Scott's Run nature center. The only one alive in this photo is JJ, the dog. Just hard to believe. Mattie always wanted a dog and though Sunny entered our lives after Mattie died, Mattie got to experience the beauty of having a connection with an animal through his bond with JJ. 

Mattie and JJ practically grew up together and when Mattie died, JJ was depressed for weeks. He didn't eat and he would come down to our front door and just sit there waiting for his buddy. At one point when I let JJ inside, he grabbed one of Mattie's sandals and took it back to his crate. There it remained. Anyone who thinks animals don't feel or grieve, would be sorely mistaken. 


Quote of the day: Hearts can break. Yes, hearts can break. Sometimes I think it would be better if we died when they did, but we don’t. ~ Stephen King


My dad was stable enough today to go back to his memory care program. So I have learned two days of around the clock Tylenol and Advil works for him. This is good to know because he has another procedure just like this on September 18. The first day is a killer, but I now understand his signs and symptoms. Because he clearly can't report out!

In addition to everything else I am balancing, I have a neighbor who has been doing a massive house renovation. This has been going on a year now, with NO end in sight. Trucks show up at 6:30am and 7am, and the noise and chaos ensue throughout the day. For a year, I have picked up debris, have experienced my driveway being blocked, and other inconsiderate stuff. Last night, I found this big trailer sitting in the front yard. It isn't on my property, but nonetheless, I don't like seeing it on the grass. Neighbors all around me are very upset and several have called the police on many occasions. If Mattie were alive, I am quite sure he'd be fascinated by every truck and vehicle that comes on the property. Unfortunately I do not share Mattie's same fascination. As I always say, I moved from the city to escape noise and congestion, and then I got this. 

This evening while cooking dinner, I pulled out the cookbook Peter made for me when we moved to the house. I have many favorite recipes and when we lived in the city, I did not have things organized and in one place. Peter corrected that for me and when I look at this book, I wonder JUST WHAT WENT WRONG? None of this makes sense to me, and my one strength is understanding people and human dynamics. Which is why all of this perplexes me, but like a dog with a bone, I will eventually unearth what is going on and connect the dots. 
Fortunately over the course of the three years that we have lived here, I always paid attention to what Peter was doing in the yard. This evening, I went outside, got up on a large ladder, and cut back that climbing hydrangea. I should have taken a before photo, but I didn't. Imagine this thing climbing up the chimney and attaching itself all over the brick and our windows. I fixed that tonight as I know this isn't good for the structure of the house. 

After dinner and cleaning up, I went back outside in the dark. I watered some plants and figured out how to replace outdoor spot light bulbs. By the time I am done, I think I could write a how to tutorial of how to survive and maintain a house when your husband of 36 years leaves you.


No comments: