Mattie Miracle 15th Anniversary Video

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

August 13, 2024

Tuesday, August 13, 2024

Tuesday, August 13, 2024 -- Mattie died 775 weeks ago today.

Tonight's picture was taken in August of 2004. Mattie was two years old. We were visiting Los Angeles and Peter snapped this photo of me and Mattie with my parents. I look at this photo now and it seems like it could be of a different person. This didn't and doesn't seem like my life. I wouldn't have guessed that 20 years after this photo was taken, Mattie would have died, my dad would have moderate stage dementia, my mom would have Parkinson's and Peter would leave me. When I evaluate where I am now in life, it is beyond amazing what I cope with ALONE on any given day. 



Quote of the day: I have emotional motion sickness / Somebody roll the windows down / There are no words in the English Language / I could scream to drown you out. ~ Phoebe Bridgers


My good friend Mary Ann sent me this photo today. I am rarely on Facebook any more, for MANY reasons. So I appreciate Mary Ann forwarding me this posting and I remember this photo well. In 2017, I received this photo from Sunny's groomer, who absolutely LOVED Sunny. She used to call him her "Sunny Bunny!" Sunny was part of my life from 2016 to 2024, and I will never forget our moments together. He is missed deeply and since Sunny died in January of this year, I have yet to go for a walk in our neighborhood. I am not motivated at all without my boy. 

Today I took my parents to a meeting with a lawyer today. Since my dad has dementia and Peter left me, I have now become the all knowing one in my household. Mind you, I have had a steep learning curve, because prior to Peter leaving, I never paid a bill, balanced a check book, managed money, took care of a large household alone, fixed things that were broken, took on all the gardening and the list goes on. I have had to become the jack of all trades. It is hateful!

I assure you these are not roles I want or like, but out of necessity, I have to be the adult on duty. When faced with so many questions and problems, my natural instinct is to turn to Peter. I have had to learn over these last 11 months that he doesn't want to help me, he isn't interested in communicating, and wants no part of my life. So when I say I am ALONE, I mean it. What these 11 months have shown me is that I actually can do much more than my family ever gave me credit for. This isn't a claim to fame, and I rather not be in this position. At the end of the day, what I miss is having my life long companion, or to be able to turn to who I thought was my life long companion. Peter's abandonment has left an immense hole in my life and heart. 

This evening, I heard my mom talking on the phone to a friend. She was saying how well I am doing and how I will have my whole future in front of me. I will spare you the exact verbiage. I truly had to tune her out because she has no concept of the pain, hurt, betrayal, and loss that I feel. People are not replaceable in my world, and for me my life feels over. My future, as I imagined it to be (which wasn't easy to accept having any sort of future without Mattie in it) is gone. I realize I may have friends and family who want me to be happy and to see possibilities ahead, but I don't see it, I don't feel it, and I am just tired of it all. 

Tired of working around the clock, tired of putting out one crisis after the other, devastated that I invested 36 years with a person who wants nothing to do with me, and worn out from living with constant grief and trauma. 

No comments: