Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

May 2, 2022

Monday, May 2, 2022

Monday, May 2, 2022

Tonight's picture was taken in April of 2003. Mattie was a year old and that day we went outside on our deck. Mattie loved fresh air. So much so that I spent more time outside than inside with him. Mattie is the reason that I became an outdoor girl. Before him, I spent little time out in nature and appreciating natural beauty. This is one of the many gifts Mattie left me. 


Quote of the day: I don’t stop when I’m tired, I only stop when I’m done. ~ Marilyn Monroe


I stayed up until 1:30am. If I didn't, I wouldn't be able to get any work done here. So after I put my dad to bed at 10pm, I came downstairs and worked. In the midst of thanking supporters for their donations, I saw I received an email from a neighbor. If you call it an email. Actually it was a nasty gram. He was complaining that I wrote a street wide letter and signed his name to it without his permission. I have been dealing with the HOA all weekend, as they wanted a letter from me documenting my concerns regarding the big construction project proposed for the adjacent house. I agreed to write the letter and the neighbor on the other side of this construction project was going to contact all the other neighbors on our street and alert them to the construction proposal. Basically we checked in with EVERYONE, and made sure they all knew about the content of my letter, before I added their names to it. However, at 11:30pm, this neighbor went on an attack! Frankly I was NOT having any of it and I pushed back. Lots of people were on copy for this exchange. Turns out that this morning I learned that he indeed knew exactly what I was talking about in my letter and my fellow neighbor shared the construction plans with the complainer. Needless to say the complainer is NOT on my happy list. 

It was another full day on the farm. I got my dad up, showered, dressed, he had breakfast, and we did brain games and his ten minute walking routine. I then started a load of laundry and jumped into the car to get my Prolia shot at the doctor's office. I wasn't sure what to expect. The shot was administered by a nurse. An officious one, and one who did not prepare me for how the shot would feel. When the medication was injected in, it almost felt like I was being stung by 100 bees. Thankfully it was a short lived feeling. I then waited in the office for ten minutes and had no severe reaction, so I went on my way. I am on around the clock Advil and Tylenol today, in hopes that I can ward off any side effects. I have no time to get ill here, and even if ill, given all I balance, I would have to work through my issues. Do you know that Prolia costs about $1,500 a shot? A shot which is needed twice a year. Needless to say, I refused to pay this amount for a drug. After months of arguing with CVS and my insurer, they introduced me to a Prolia co-pay card. Now I only pay $25 per shot. 

After the injection, I went to the grocery store. Then got home, put it all away, and walked Sunny for two hours. It takes two hours because Sunny is much slower. While out, I noticed that Sunny was urinating blood. I panicked! I called the vet ER and then reached out to Sunny's surgeon. I am telling you I was hysterical. She calmed me down, told me that Sunny's mass won't prevent him from urinating and because the mass in the bladder is huge, bleeding can happen. Unless it is uncontrollable blood and Sunny is disoriented, he is fine until we come up with a cancer plan next week. Sometimes I feel like I am going to have a MELTDOWN. 

Once I got Sunny home, I folded the laundry, and then got my dad into the car and we went out to lunch. As soon as I pulled up at the restaurant, my dad told me he was going to have a bowel movement. I literally left my mom in the car with my car hazard lights on. I whisked my dad into the restaurant and to the bathroom. But I was too late. Poop was all over him and of course he put his hand in it. It was a large clean up job. I am telling you there is NO rest for me. 

One would think that perhaps I could rest after lunch! Forget it. Once I got home, my dad had to run to the bathroom again. I got him settled, then my mom was in a panic about paying bills. So I dealt with that for another hour. Now it is almost 9pm, and I am still looking for my time! 

No comments: