Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

May 4, 2022

Wednesday, May 4, 2022

Wednesday, May 4, 2022

Tonight's picture was taken in April of 2003. Specifically at Mattie's first birthday party! Mattie was having a hard day that day, because there was too much noise, people, and chaos. However, I felt he needed to be present for his birthday cake, so I lifted him up so he could see it. As you can see, he was transfixed on the image of Elmo on the cake!


Quote of the day: It is good to love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is well done. Vincent Van Gogh


It is hard to believe that in the middle of the circus show that I coordinate everyday, that the Foundation is also in the midst of its annual fundraiser. Our Virtual Walk is struggling this year for two reasons.... 1) COVID has impacted the ability of our corporate sponsors to donate, and 2) I can't devote the time I typically do to fundraising. With that said, we are plugging away and our thermometer reads $57,712. Our goal is $100,000. I am grateful for our loyal donors and amazing friends who are helping me raise money. 

This morning, I went to my dad's memory care center with him to meet the therapist who was doing his physical therapy evaluation. The therapist is lovely and has been doing this for 45 years. His side kick is his son, who also is a physical therapist. So my dad will be working with both of them, an occupational therapist, and a speech therapist to work on memory strategies. 

When I returned to the center at 2pm to pick up my dad, I asked him how his day went. He had NO IDEA! He couldn't even recall what he was doing in his classroom before he came to the car. He had no recollection of eating or drinking anything while there either. The Center gives us a calendar for each day that tells us the activities, snacks, and lunch. I know my dad hates when we pepper him with questions about his day, as it highlights just how significant his memory loss is, however, I think the adjustment really has to come from me. I have to be okay with the fact that he doesn't remember, can't recall that he carries a notebook to record aspects of his day, and truly he is happy not doing any of this. He rather not use his brain or body and the only one NOT okay with this is me. Because I know if he doesn't move, he won't be able to move and live independently. Of course, I can't rationalize with him whatsoever.  

We have a family of blue birds living in one of the bird houses we have in the backyard. They are simply beautiful. 
Meanwhile last night, I swear I heard someone snoring while I was working in my office. It wasn't a human, but instead a frog. Peter went outside because the frog was hanging out by the pool. The frog was almost the size of Peter's foot. 

We had the worst rain, thunder, and lightning last night. At midnight, Sunny negotiated the stairs and came into our bedroom in a panic. Sunny has great trouble with stairs, so he must have been desperate. We literally put Sunny in the walk-in shower all night, it was the only place he felt safe. But in the morning, Peter had to carry him down the stairs (Sunny is 60 pounds). Thank goodness this storm did not happen while Peter was away because there is no way I can carry Sunny down the stairs. 


No comments: