Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

May 1, 2022

Sunday, May 1, 2022

Sunday, May 1, 2022

Tonight's picture was taken in April of 2005, at Mattie's third birthday party. That year the theme of the party was Blues Clues. Mattie absolutely loved that TV show and we had a Blues adventure at the party, along with a magic show, and the magician even brought his bunny, Hobbes. Hobbes  made a big impression on all of us. 


Quote of the day: Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one. Bruce Lee


I got up earlier than I planned today because I had to get some things done before waking up my dad. I think the challenges of caregiving is having NO TIME whatsoever for one's self. On any given day, I am juggling just too much for one person. My latest to my plate was to craft a cogent letter to our Home Owners Association, regarding the extensive construction project proposed to occur at the house adjacent to ours. If this proposal goes through, life as we know it will be OVER for quite some time. The significant dirt, noise, and chaos will overtake our street. I wrote a three page letter between yesterday and today outlining the issues and how what is being proposed violates the community's bylaws. I also got every neighbor on my street to sign onto the letter. Do I expect this to change anything? Probably not, but I am not going down without a fight. 

On top of dealing with neighbors and this letter, I had my usual caregiving routine, laundry, walking Sunny, meals, and the list goes on. It is 8pm and I am worn out with no end in sight. Tomorrow morning, I head to see my doctor for the first injection of Prolia. A medication for bone loss. Given the extensive nature of my bone loss, I feel compelled to actively do something now, because unlike my parents, I will have NO child overseeing my care, or looking after me. I have to be as self sufficient as possible. I am worried about tomorrow's injection because I don't know the side effects it will have on me. 

In the Fall of 2021, I tried taking Fosamax, the oral medication for bone loss. It was a royal nightmare for me. It gave me 101 fevers, horrible bone pain, nausea, exhaustion and I was wiped out for three days. Since I had a rare reaction with an oral med, who knows what my reaction will be with an injection. Needless to say, what ever my reaction I will have to push through it because as a full time caregiver there are NO down days. 

No comments: