Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

May 7, 2022

Saturday, May 7, 2022

Saturday, May 7, 2022

Tonight's picture was taken in April of 2004. That day we took Mattie to the National Zoo. Two things pop into my head when seeing this photo. First, Mattie never went anywhere without a sippy cup full of whole milk. So much for drinking milk and having strong bones. What a myth. The second thing was Mattie's favorite mode of transportation was on Peter's back. I can't tell you how many times Peter carried Mattie around this way. 


Quote of the day: Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children. ~ William Thackeray 


Peter sent me these beautiful flowers for Mother's day. I put the vase inside this big piece of pottery, which sits on our island. We received this piece of pottery as a wedding gift. The piece was personalized for us with our names and our wedding date. So we have had this bowl for over two decades. Who would guess that a bowl would out last our child? 

As mother's day approaches, it is a day that probably will never sit well with me. The past couple of days, people who I meet in passing (who don't know me) wish me a Happy Mother's Day. In the past I would have lost it and most likely would have gotten angry. Now I just absorb the comment, and say internally..... if you only knew. 

In the midst of Foundation work, and juggling my dad today, I worked with my mom to unpack many of her LladrĂ³ collection. Ironically, she collected several of these along our travels together. So Peter and I can remember practically recall where each piece came from. At my parent's home in California, these pieces were all over the place. Here, I have consolidated them to my curio cabinets. I had these shelves in our townhouse in Washington, DC. On them use to be my glass hat and shoe collections. 

Given this wall is so large, and I have a painting on the side wall, I did not want another art piece as a distraction. So I felt this would work. The piece of furniture underneath the shelving was given to me as a gift MANY MANY years ago by a friend in Boston. It was his grandmother's and he no longer wanted it. I am so glad I had the where with all in my 20's to grab this piece! They don't make furniture like this anymore. 

No comments: