Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

August 7, 2022

Sunday, August 7, 2022

Sunday, August 7, 2022

Tonight's picture was taken in July of 2007, a year before Mattie was diagnosed. Back then we truly were clueless about childhood cancer and the notion would never have even dawned on us. Of course a year later, it became a diagnosis that permanently altered our lives. This photo was taken on Roosevelt Island, a place Mattie loved to explore, as he enjoyed climbing rocks, collecting sticks, and walking in nature. 


Quote of the day: That's the thing with dementia. If you're with somebody who has a serious illness, you can usually talk to them, have a laugh every now and then - the person is still with you. With dementia, there's no conversation; there's no togetherness, no sharing.Judy Parfitt


This morning, I was downstairs making breakfast and the next crisis arose. My mom called me from upstairs to tell me that her bathroom rug was completely wet. She wanted me to bring it downstairs to drip dry. So I stopped what I was doing because a wet rug is heavy and will drip water all over the place. I figured the bath mat got slightly wet, but when I went to her bathroom, it looked as if she took the rug and stuck it in the shower. It was soaked and dripping water everywhere. I wrapped the rug in a towel and carried it downstairs. But unfortunately in the process I got water everywhere and had a big clean up job on the staircase and first floor. 

It would be very easy to snap and start yelling. After all I am tired and still had to get my dad up and shower him. But I kept it calm and tried to figure out if she could recreate how this happened. Mainly because I don't want to be dealing with this on a daily basis. My mom really had no insight into how this happened. I went through every scenario possible, but the only thing I can think of is she had the inner lining of the shower curtain not tucked inside the shower. Though I am not sure that would explain the issue. Unlike my dad, my mom doesn't consult me or ask for help. I don't get involved until after the problem has occurred and then I am left to figure things out and correct them.  

After I did brain games with my dad, had him walk for ten minutes and then did his occupational therapy exercises with him, Peter and I took Sunny out for a walk. I was really looking forward to that walk, until we got into it for about a block. The heat was a killer and it wasn't good for Sunny. So after a couple of blocks, we turned back and came home. Very disappointing, especially since Sunny doesn't get much walk time in anymore since my parents moved in!

This is Indie! I did not want to leave her off the blog, as I know Sunny typically gets top billing. But Indie is a very sweet Tortoise Shell cat and very attached to Peter. 


No comments: