Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

December 10, 2022

Saturday, December 10, 2022

Saturday, December 10, 2022

Tonight's picture was taken in December of 2003. That holiday season we took Mattie to Los Angeles. Along our adventures we went to Griffith Park and introduced Mattie to the ponies. Mattie was seat belted to the saddle and Peter walked besides him. Look at that big smile!!! To me it was priceless.


Quote of the day: I have a theory that selflessness and bravery aren’t all that different. ~ Veronica Roth


On Friday night, after a very long week, I could see my dad was sleeping in his recliner. So at 8:30pm, I took him upstairs and got him ready for bed. I know that the longer I keep him up the harder it is for me to get him upstairs. Therefore, I made the decision over this passed week to take him up before 9pm, otherwise I can't get him up. 

After my dad was in bed, I came back downstairs and Peter and my mom eventually joined me and together we watched a Hallmark movie, Time for Him to Come Home For Christmas. I had seen it the night before, and thought it was well done and I wanted Peter to see it. Once the movie was over it was about 11pm. When my mom came upstairs and went into their bedroom, I could hear that my dad was still up and talking up a storm with my mom. 

This morning, I asked my mom why my dad was up last night! She let me know that he was upset that I brought him up early and that we watched a movie together without him. Certainly in my professional capacity I could sit back and be empathetic about his complaint. However, I am human and managing the impossible for ONE YEAR straight without a break. So I did not take to any of this well. Instead, I explained to both of my parents, that there is a reason I take my dad up early, and that I am doing the best I possibly can to manage both of their needs, desires, and requests, but if I don't get a break and just be for a few minutes without the toll of caregiving, I won't be able to keep this pace up. Of course I might as well be talking to myself, because neither one can be rational. 

Sometimes I feel like I am so trapped and could explode with anger and other emotions. My diversion is Hallmark. I turned to Hallmark movies after Mattie died. In fact, I would watch them from morning to night. Now of course I don't have the time. But after my parents go to bed, I watch Hallmark movies from my bed. It is my escape from the harsh reality that I face. What caught my attention about Time for Him to Come Home for Christmas, was it was about loss, trauma, and finding one's way back in the world. I could tell that the main characters were traumatized from a loss within minutes of watching. I recognized that tell tale sign, of pushing away from others and needing isolation. 

If you are a Hallmark fan, I encourage you to check out this movie trailer:

https://www.hallmarkmoviesandmysteries.com/time-for-him-to-come-home-for-christmas/videos/preview-time-for-him-to-come-home-for-christmas

Within the movie is a haunting song called Peace, Joy, Love! I had NEVER heard it before, so I naturally Googled it! It turns out it was written by Jim Brickman who joined forces to spread a heartening message of unity amid Ukraine's ongoing war with Russia. Here is the link (Peace, Joy, Love) about the song, as well as the official video. 


In the movie, the song was played during a memorial celebration. It captured my attention, as I hope it does yours. There are many morals to this movie, but ultimately I think what I took away from it is two things: 1) guilt is very common when facing a tragic loss and it takes time to process and cope with that guilt of being left behind, and 2) the importance of communicating honestly with others about one's needs, feelings, and request for support. It may appear that Hallmark movies are fluffy and light, but what I love about them are the moral messages and feelings they evoke. 

No comments: