Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

December 6, 2022

Tuesday, December 6, 2022

Tuesday, December 6, 2022 -- Mattie died 688 weeks ago today. 

Tonight's picture was taken in December of 2003. Mattie was a year and half old and FULLY ON! Taking him to Los Angeles was never easy, because Mattie did not adjust to the time change easily. Instead, he would wake up at 4am each day, and it took him about 4 days to adjust to California being three hours behind Washington, DC. As you can see, Mattie was intrigued by sinks and water and I practically had to hold him back in order for Peter to snap this photo! 


Quote of the day: They may forget what you said, but they will never forget how you made them feel. ~ Carl W. Buechner.


Well I would say today wasn't my finest hour. I woke up early as usual, got myself showered and dressed, made breakfast and vacuumed part of the house. I then got my dad up, washed, dressed and downstairs for breakfast. What you may not know is I balance three things for my dad each day to help him orient his day. One is a calendar, the second is a white board with the day's schedule and word of the day, and the third is his journal. The journal is designed for him to answer the same questions each day, and the goal is for him to fill it out so he can turn to it when he has questions or can't recall something. In theory all these tools are great! That is if he actually used them. 

The one doing all the work is me and what sent me over the edge today was my dad's lack of interest in just about everything. He isn't motivated to do anything that involves using his brain or moving his body. If I left him in his chair all day to sleep, that would make him the happiest. After helping him complete today's journal for morning activities, we then asked him a question, which required him to go back to the month of August. He couldn't do it or did not want to do it. That was the straw that broke the camel's back. I took the book away from him and I decided not to do any of his daily brain games. As Peter says to me..... he would have stopped all of this months ago, because my dad gets nothing from it. Peter is correct, my dad gets no visual benefit from doing these activities. The reason I continue with them is for structure, a schedule, and something to engage him even if it is for a few minutes. 

In addition to all of this, while having breakfast, before any journaling took place, my dad pooped in his pants. A delight at the breakfast table and though I get up in the 6am hour, I rarely get to eat before 10am. I had just sat down to eat, when I had to jump up again to get my dad to the bathroom to completely clean and change him. Remember I just showered him less than an hour before this point. 

I am doing the impossible for both my dad and mom, and my dad shows absolutely no interest to do anything. Which means that I can't do anything either. I am tied to the house, unable to plan anything, get away, or have a moment to myself. One could do a research study as me as the subject, to assess how long it takes before a caregiver completely cracks up! 

Later today, a personal trainer came to the house to evaluate my dad. She is a physical therapy assistant by training and the goal is to have her company help to maintain my dad's strengths and abilities. These abilities are what keep him living in our home and not an institution. My dad wasn't thrilled by the notion that he will have a personal trainer, but I have explained to him the importance of these exercises on both his physical and cognitive abilities. 

So overall, I would say today was a day I was angry. Angry at my situation, angry about my life, and just plain ANGRY.

No comments: