Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

December 8, 2022

Thursday, December 8, 2022

Thursday, December 8, 2022

Tonight's picture was taken in December of 2003. Mattie was in Los Angeles, to celebrate Christmas with my parents. That day we took Mattie to Travel Town in Griffith Park. This was quite a place, filled with old and historic trains. Children of all ages can explore on and off the trains, and also walk the tracks. Mattie was a big train fan, so Travel Town was always a highlight for us. Ironically prior to having Mattie, I never visited Travel Town before. 


Quote of the day: This was how to help a family who has just lost their child. Wash the clothes, make soup. Don’t ask them what they need, bring them what they need. Keep them warm. Listen to them rant, and cry, and tell their story over and over. ~ Ann Hood


It was a very long day today! I got up at 5:30am and after doing my usual morning chores, I got my mom in the car at 8:30am and we headed to the hospital. The commute to the hospital was easy, but I knew as soon as I got onto Georgetown's campus, parking would be a show! Because the hospital is undergoing construction, one of the parking lots is closed and therefore patients must valet park. The valets were working very hard and despite the number of people transcending on them, they managed the flow quite well. 

We got upstairs to the nuclear medicine department and there we spent about six hours. The DaT scan is long! It starts by drinking a solution of water and iodine. This is to protect the thyroid from radiation. My mom was anxious and a bundle of nerves. Her anxiousness comes out as snappy, rude, and overwhelming. Fortunately for her, I stuck by her side and helped the techs working with her. My mom drank this solution and then had to wait 60 minutes. After that point, she was injected with a radiotracer. Once that happened, we had to wait three hours before she could get scanned. The scan itself took 30 minutes, which isn't bad, but I assure you by that point in the day, my mom was tired and not happy about taking the test. In fact, my mom doesn't perceive herself as having any issues and truly resented taking the test. So again, I explained why we needed to do this because I plainly told her she lacks insight into her own situation. 

It is hard to believe we were at the hospital from 9am to 3:30pm. During that time, the head of child life came to visit us and we even saw the former nurse manager of the PICU (where Mattie spent many months). This is the thing about Georgetown, to me the hallways HOLD so many Mattie memories. In fact, where my mom was today was a place I knew all too well. This was where Mattie received all of his bone scans. I saw the room Mattie typically was in for his scans and for that one moment, I was transported back to 2008 and 2009!

Info about the DaTscan:

DaTscan is the trade name for Ioflupane I-123, which is a radiotracer used in a nuclear medicine imaging test called brain SPECT. DaTscan binds to the presynaptic dopamine active transporter (DAT) on neurons that communicate with areas controlling movement, including the striatum. The hallmark of Parkinson’s disease is the loss of these neurons and a decrease in dopamine; when these neurons die, there are fewer dopamine transporters, leading to decreased activity on the brain scan.

For the classic motor symptoms of Parkinson’s to be present, typically 50% or more of these neurons must be lost. DaTscan is able to detect this decreased activity early in the course of Parkinson’s, when the diagnosis may still be uncertain.

Differentiating between Parkinson’s and essential tremor – in an individual whose sole symptom is tremor, it can be difficult to make a definitive diagnosis. DAT scans are abnormal in patients with Parkinson’s, but normal in patients with essential tremor.

This is what the scanner looked like. It isn't enclosed like a MRI, yet the scanner revolves around your head and sits pretty close to your face. 
See it revolving?! It is 10pm, and I am calling it quits. It was a super long day and thankfully while I was managing my mom, Peter was managing my dad.



No comments: